- Score: No. 7 Le Moyne 12, No. 17 Assumption 5
- Records: Le Moyne (7-2, 3-1 NE10), Assumption (5-3, 2-2 NE10),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Seventh ranked Le Moyne scored four times in a two minute span at the end of the first quarter and No. 17 Assumption was never able to get any closer than three the rest of the way as the Hounds fell 12-5 in a hard-fought conference battle on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Le Moyne opened the scoring just 1:25 into the contest. Assumption drew even eight minutes later as Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) lowered his shoulder to create a little space before ripping home his first goal of the day. The Dolphins answered with four goals in less than two minutes for a 5-1 lead and added one more to stretch it to 6-1 before Jennings cut it to 6-2 with a goal near the end of the first.
- Senior Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) trimmed the deficit to three at 12:45, however, Le Moyne answered less than a minute later for the 7-3 advantage. Both defenses were strong and Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Conn. / East Catholic) tallied the only goal over the final ten minutes off a feed from Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood), to leave Assumption down 7-4 at the half.
- Le Moyne scored 1:04 into the third period, but Assumption kept them off the board the rest of the period. Neither team scored again until the Dolphins pushed their lead to 9-4 with 14:17 left in regulation. They added three more goals over the next 13 minutes to stretch it to a 12-4 advantage. Anthony D'Angelo (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) capped off the scoring with 39 seconds left to provide the 12-5 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Le Moyne outshot Assumption 45-33 in the contest and picked up 15 more ground balls (36-21) as the Dolphins won 17 of 20 face-offs in the contest. The Hounds committed just one penalty and didn't allow Le Moyne to score on the man-up.
- Farrell led the offense with three assists while Jennings scored twice on a team-high eight shots. Reid was held to a single goal but did have five ground balls. Joe Del Rossi (North Massapequa, N.Y. / Plainedge) was solid with two caused turnovers and two ground balls while Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) added three ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) took the loss in net, allowing 12 goals and making 16 saves. For Le Moyne, Riley Smith secured the win with ten saves and five goals allowed.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team travels to face Southern New Hampshire at 12 p.m.