- Score: No. 19 Assumption 24, American International 5
- Records: Assumption (5-2, 2-1 NE10), AIC (0-9, 0-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: No. 19 Assumption jumped out to a 9-1 lead after the first quarter and the offense kept up the scoring throughout, as the Hounds took down American International 24-5 in conference play on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead just 47 seconds into the contest, though AIC tied it up with 11:13 left. Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) put the Hounds back in front a minute later and Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) scored at 9:28 to make it 3-1. Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) pushed it to 4-1 midway through the period and Assumption scored five more goals over the last seven minutes to lead 9-1.
- In the second, Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Conn. / Wilbraham & Monson) extended the lead to 10-1 with 11:36 left and Farrell added goal off a Reid pass for the 11-1 lead. Just 30 seconds later Anthony D'Angelo (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) made it 12-1. Assumption added goals from Reid, Mike Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood), Marocchini and Farrell to take a 16-1 lead at the half.
- Each team scored once in the third and the traded goals through the first seven minutes of the fourth for a 19-4 contest. Over the final eight minutes, Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) tallied consecutive goals, while Tommy Galvin (Canton, Mass. / Canton), Michael O'Reilly (Hollis, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) and Colin Buck (Bow, N.H. / Bow) all scored while AIC added one more for a 24-5 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot AIC 57-25 and won 20 of 31 face-offs while picking up 55 ground balls to just 24 for the Yellow Jackets. The Hounds also had 20 caused turnovers in the contest.
- Eight different players had at least three points, led by Farrell with five goals and two assists, while Reid contributed six points on two goals and four assists. Marocchini chipped in two goals and three assists while Jennings had two goals. Reid's finished the day with 76 career assists, breaking the previous school record of 72 set back in 2010 by Kevin Klaskin. Farrell, meanwhile, moved into second place on the school's all-time scoring list with 153 points on 86 goals and 67 assists.
- Defensively, Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won 13 of 20 face-offs and picked up five ground balls, while D'Angelo had eight ground balls and two caused turnovers with three points (2g, 1a). Adam Burnes (Braintree, Mass. / Archbishop Williams) had two caused turnovers while Peterson III chipped in three with seven ground balls and two goals.
- Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) earned the win in net as he gave up just one goal in 22:34 with six saves. Four other Assumption goalies combined to play the final 38 minutes of the contest, giving up four goals and making six saves. Alphonse Ferrentino took the loss for AIC, but impressed with 19 saves.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday, when the team hosts No. 4 Le Moyne at 3 p.m.