- Score: Saint Rose 12, Assumption 11 (OT)
- Records: Saint Rose (5-7, 4-4 NE10), Assumption (7-3, 5-3 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption led an 11-10 lead slip away in the final 70 seconds of regulation and Saint Rose possessed the ball in the extra session for over a minute before netting the game-winner for a 12-11 victory on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Rose got on the board first, scoring at 11:34 for the 1-0 lead. Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) tied it up off a nice feed from Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood). The Golden Knights grabbed a 3-1 advantage with consecutive goals, the second of which came at 7:08. Farrell trimmed the deficit to one with 2:50 left and Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) tied it up with only 1:05 remaining.
- In the second, Saint Rose once again took a lead, scoring at 10:53. Farrell evened the score with 3:30 left. The Golden Knights grabbed a 5-4 advantage with 2:01 left, but Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won the ensuing face-off and fed Farrell, who ripped a shot for the equalizer just seven seconds later. A strong effort by the defense over the final 40 seconds kept it 5-5 at the break.
- In the third, Dan Matisoff (Milton, Mass. / Milton) gave Assumption its first lead, 6-5, off a pass from Travis Reid. Saint Rose responded with a goal, but Farrell pushed the Hounds in front 7-6 with 8:18 left. The Golden Knights scored the final two goals of the period for an 8-7 lead going into the fourth.
- Saint Rose extended its lead to 9-7 just 1:33 in the final quarter. Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Mass. / Wilbraham and Monson) trimmed the deficit to one a minute later, and Jennings evened it up with 9:54 left. The sophomore gave the Hounds a 10-9 just over three minutes later, though the Golden Knights knotted it 10-10 at 3:13. Kennedy scored on an unassisted goal with 2:06 left to go ahead 11-10, however, Saint Rose tied the contest back up with 1:04 remaining.
- The Golden Knights had a chance to win it in the final seconds but Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) came up with a huge save to force OT. Saint Rose won the only face-off in overtime and held the ball until Matt Graham ripped a shot over Hamwey's shoulder into the top corner for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Saint Rose held a 49-29 edge in shots in the contest, though the Hounds picked up two more ground balls (32-30) and caused four more turnovers (9-4). C. Reid won 14 of 27 face-offs and picked up ten ground balls.
- Farrell led the team with six points on four goals and two assists, while Jennings added three goals and one helper. T. Reid was limited to one goal and two assists. Hamwey took the loss, giving up 12 goals and making 17 saves.
- Carter Badour led the Golden Knights with three goals and one assist while Matt Graham had three goals, including the game-winner. Liam Guiton earned the win in net as he stopped 13 shots and allowed 11 goals.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday when they host Merrimack at 7 pm.