- Score: Assumption 15, Wilmington 6
- Records: Assumption (1-0), Wilmington (0-2)
- Location: Newark, Del. (WU Athletics Complex)
- The Lead: Wilmington scored the first goal of the contest, but Assumption scored ten straight before the end of the half to take control and opened their season with a solid 15-6 victory on the road Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wilmington got on the board at 13:12, however, Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown) quickly tied the game up less than three minutes later. Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) put the Hounds in front and Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) scored twice while Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) added another for a 5-1 advantage through one quarter.
- Senior Patrick Ward (Canton, Mass. / Kents Hill School) opened the scoring at 12:48 of the second. Both Ward and Reid finished with two goals apiece in the quarter, while Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) scored with 1:08 left for a 10-1 advantage through the first half.
- Jennings extended it to 11-1 just 1:04 in the third and Farrell scored off a Hughes feed with 3:20 left in the third for a 12-1 lead. Wilmington scored twice in the first three minutes of the fourth. However, Assumption scored three of the next four goals for a 15-4 lead. The Wildcats added two goals in the final three minutes for the 15-6 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Wilmington 41-21 in the contest, while picking up more ground balls (45-28) and winning 14 of 25 face-offs. Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won 10 of his 16 face-offs while picking up five ground balls.
- Farrell led a balanced offense with five points on four goals and one assist. T. Reid added four goals while Jennings scored twice with one assist. Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) led the defense with three caused turnovers and six ground balls.
- Five different goalies saw action on Sunday, led by Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham Monson Academy). He played 41:40 and earned the win as he gave up one goals while making three saves. Chris Schultz (Bayville, N.Y. / Locust Valley) and Will Wiegand (Jefferson, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) both made a save in limited action.
- The Hounds return to action on Wednesday when they travel to play Mercy at 3 pm.