- Score: Assumption 3, Mass. Dartmouth 2 (OT)
- Records: Assumption (3-0-0), Mass. Dartmouth (0-2-0),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
- The lead: While on a 5-on-3 power play in overtime, Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) scored his first goal of the season to lead the Assumption Greyhounds past the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs, 3-2, in overtime on Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds gained the 5-on-3 advantage at 1:20 into overtime when Jay Clarke was called for cross-checking and Sean Leonard for unsportsmanlike conduct. After Robert Roche's (Holden, Mass. / Tri City Storm (USHL)) shot was saved by Corsair goalie Tommy Bay, McDonaugh gathered in the rebound and sent his team home with the win at the 1:45 mark.
-The Corsairs led 2-1 at the end of the first period. After Brendan Philippon (Salem, N.H, / Philadelphia Flyers (USPHL Elite)) put Assumption up to begin the period, Brendan McDonough scored two unanswered goals to put UMass Dartmouth up 2-1.
-Assumption tied the game at two at 10:16 in the second period. Robert Holyoke (Middleboro, Mass. / South Shore Kings (USPHL Premier)) gathered in a pass from teammate Matt Damelio (Rocherster, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) and got out in front of the Corsair's defense, tying the game on a shot that got by Bay's glove.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- UMass Dartmouth outshot Assumption 30-24. The Hounds went 1-for-7 on the power play while the Corsairs went 2-for-6.
- A freshman, Holyoke has scored at least one goal in each of his first three collegiate games. He has four goals and one assist so far this season and maintains a +4 plus/minus. McDonaugh's goal was his first game-winner of his career. He has now scored 11 goals in parts of four seasons.
-David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich. / Bridgton Academy (Prep)) made 28 saves on 30 shots and improved to 2-0 on the season. Bay made 21 saves on 24 shots and fell to 0-1.
- The 3-0-0 start is the best for the Hounds since they began the 2002-03 season 3-0.
-The Hounds will host Fitchburg St. on Saturday, November 3, at 6:05 p.m.