Score: Saint Michael's 6, Assumption 5 (OT)
Records: Assumption (15-10-2, 8-7-1 NE10), Saint Michael's (15-9-2, 10-5-1 NE10 )
Location: Cairns Arena (South Burlington, Vt.)
Lead: Third seeded Assumption let a two-goal lead slip away in the third period and trailed 5-4 late before rallying to send the game into overtime, however, second seed Saint Michael's scored midway through the first overtime to skate away with a 6-5 victory at home on Saturday afternoon in the NE10 Semifinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hounds jumped to a quick 1-0 lead just 27 seconds into the game as Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa./Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) beat Purple Knight goaltender Chris Johnson five hole from the circle. Senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./ Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) and sophomore Matt Drake (Manchester, N.J./Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL Elite)) set McDonagh up for the goal.
- With 4:23 left, senior Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass./ Boston Bandits (EHL)) extended the lead 2-0 after picking up a rebound in the slot off a shot from Mike Sorenti (Sagamore Beach, Mass./Archbishop Williams (MA HS)). Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y./ South Kent School (USPHL U18)) was also credited with an assist on the play. Just 2:27 later, Saint Michael's got on the board, but the Hounds answered only a minute later as Laughlin tipped in a shot from defenseman Matt Cowles (Farmington, Conn. / Avon Old Farms (Prep)) on the power play make the score 3-1.
- Purple Knight forward Thomas Flack scored 11:03 into the second to cut the deficit to 3-2, but Laughlin found the back of the net for his second of the night off assists from McDonagh and freshman John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass./ Williston North Hampton School)) on the power play with 1:04 left, to reclaim the two-goal lead.
- In the third, Saint Michael's scored back-to-back goals to tie the game 4-4. With 12:08 left John Barry netted a goal from Andrew Olevitz to come within one, and then 8:07 Olevitz tallied the game-tying goal. The Purple Knights took the lead at 14:43, when Eric Salzillo beat Hounds goaltender David Zulauf (Rochester, MI./Bridgton Academy (Prep)) upstairs to make the score 5-4. However, Laughlin completed his hat trick off an assist from McDonagh just 26 seconds later to tie the game 5-5 and force overtime.
- With 9:59 left in overtime, Sam D'Antuono tallied his second of the night to end the game 6-5 in overtime and lift Saint Michael's to the NE10 Championship.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Saint Michael's outshot Assumption 65-37 while the Hounds went 2-for-5 on the power play and the Purple Knights were 2-for-7. McDonagh finished with four points on one goal and three assists while Laughlin concluded his Assumption career with a hat trick and one assist.
- Zulauf made a career-high 59 saves in net as his record dropped to 10-6-1. Johnson and Tim Decker combined for 32 saves, and Decker was credited with the win as he played the final 49:58 of the contest.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube.