Score: Assumption 6, Post 2
Records: Assumption (15-9-2, 8-6-1 NE10), Post (2-22-1)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
Lead: Assumption broke open a 2-2 game with four third-period goals, led by a hat trick from senior Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)), as the Hounds concluded the regular season with an emphatic 6-2 victory over Post on senior night in Buffone Arena on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Just 7:40 into the game, the Hounds capitalized on a power play as Farrell beat Post goaltender Brandon Brown on the low left side. Sophomore Robert Roche (Holden, Mass. / Tri City Storm (USHL))) and senior Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) were credited with the assists.
- With 5:27 left in the first, the Hounds extended their lead to 2-0 as senior defenseman Matt Cowles (Farmington, Conn. / Avon Old Farms (Prep)) scored a wraparound goal, assisted by goaltender Robbie Campbell (Raritan, N.J. / New England Stars (NA3HL)) on the power play.
- Post answered just a minute later and trailed 2-1 after one period. The Eagles the tied the game 2-2 at 4:16 of the second and the two teams were even going into the third.
- Only 1:21 into the third period, the Hounds claimed the 3-2 lead as Roche and Mahoney connected again to find Farrell for the power play goal. Farrell completed the hat trick with 13:54 left in the game on a wrister off feeds from Damelio and Mahoney. Mahoney and Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) each added goals during the final six minutes of regulation to secure the four-goal win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption doubled up Post, 50-24, in shots while going 4-for-8 on the power play and limiting the Eagles to 1-for-10 with an extra man. Four different seniors recorded a point, highlighted by four each from Farrell (3g, 1A) and Mahoney (1g, 3a).
- Campbell earned the victory in net with 22 saves to improve to 1-0 and earn his first collegiate victory. Brown took the loss in net as he made 44 saves.
- Assumption's 15 victories are the most for the program since the team went 15-11-1 during the 2009-10 campaign. It's just the second 15-win season in the last 20 years for the program.
- The Hounds have officially clinched the third seed in the NE10 Tournament and will travel next weekend to Saint Michael's to face the Purple Knights at 4:00 pm.