- Score: Assumption 2, Franklin Pierce 1
- Record: Assumption (7-6-2, 3-3-1 NE10), Franklin Pierce (4-11-1, 1-5-1 NE10)
- Location: Winchendon, Mass.
The Lead: Senior Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) scored in the final two minutes of regulation to break a 1-1 draw and lift Assumption to a crucial 2-1 conference victory over Franklin Pierce on the road Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Just 54 seconds into the contest, junior forwards Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) and Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) found Senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) open in the slot to beat Ravens goaltender Tom McGuckin five-hole and take the 1-0 lead.
- At 8:08 left in the second period Franklin Pierce tied the game 1-1 as Cameron Shepardson notched a goal assisted by David Wilcox. David Altman (Bristol, R.I. / Northern Cyclones (EHL)) didn't allow another goal in the period, finishing with eight saves.
- The score remained tied until the final two minutes of action. Mahoney netted the go-ahead goal with just 1:31 remaining off assists from Damelio and Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)). Assumption held off the Ravens in the final minute to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption held a 33-27 shot advantage in the contest, outshooting Franklin Pierce in two of three periods. The Hounds were 0-for-4 on the power play while the Ravens were 1 of 3.
- Damelio dished off a pair of assists as five different players recorded at least a point. Altman earned the victory in net, making 26 saves in 59:44. McGuckin took the loss while stopping 31 shots.
- The Hounds are back on the road this Saturday as they head to Saint Anselm for a weekend series starting Friday night at 7:00 pm.