Score: Saint Michael's 4, Assumption 3
Records: Assumption (6-7-2, 2-4-1 NE10), Saint Michael's (8-6-1, 5-2 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
The Lead: The Hounds had a 2-0 lead heading into the second period, the Purple Knights outscored Assumption 4-1 over the final two periods to beat the Hounds 4-3 in regulation on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds claimed the 1-0 lead after Tomy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass./ Boston Bandits (EHL)) scored a powerplay goal with 18:20 left in the first period. Sophomore John Fine-Lease (Willsboro, N.Y./Walpole Express (EHL)) extended the lead to 2-0, scoring just 5:19 later. Goaltender David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./Bridgton Academy (Prep)) held the Purple Knights scoreless saving 11 shots.
- Saint Michael's answered as Nathan Foice scored a goal with 8:10 left in the second period to cut the deficit to 2-1.
- Just about two minutes later Assumption pushed to lead to 3-1 as Mike Sorenti (Sagamore Beach, Mass. / Archbishop Williams (MA HS)) picked up a rebound off a shot from defenseman Matt Cowles (Farmington, Conn. / Avon Old Farms (Prep)).
- With 1:23 left Brandon Mitchell scored a goal assisted by Paul McAuliffe and Foice to bring Saint Michael's within a goal, 3-2.
- Saint Michael's went on to score two consecutive goals in the third period to comeback and win the game 4-3. Only 2:10 into the third periond, the Purple Knights tied the game 3-3 as Niall Foster beat Zulauf on the glove side and then with 3:04 left Keegan Finn tallied the game-winning goal to sweep the Hounds this weekend.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption went 1-2 on the powerplay while they held the Purple Knights scoreless during the man advantage. Both teams tallied 38 shots in the contest.
- Zulauf made 34 saves in the loss while Saint Michael's goaltender Tim Decker made 35 in the win.
- Next Tuesday, January 16th, the Hounds travel to Franklin Pierce to face the Ravens at 7:30 pm.