Score: Assumption 2, Westfield 2
Records: Assumption (6-5-2, 2-2-1 NE10), Westfield State (3-6-1, 1-5 MASCAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
The Lead: After being down 2-0 early in the first period, senior Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) tallied a goal and an assist as Assumption rallied to score two unanswered goals to tie Westfield State 2-2 on Thursday evening in the team's final game of the semester.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Westfield took a 2-0 lead early in the first. At 17:14, Francois-Xavier Girard scored a power play goal, and just 2:26 later the Owls tallied their second power play goal to take the 2-0 lead after Nik Passero beat Hound goaltender David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./Bridgton Academy (Prep)) on the glove side.
- With 1:07 left in the first period, senior Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) picked up a rebound off a shot from forward Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa./Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) to beat Limburg on the stick side to cut the deficit to 2-1 heading into the second period.
- After Assumption was awarded a 5-on-3 power play, the Hounds tied the game 2-2. Senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) fired a shot past Limburg from the left cirle to score the game tying goal. Mahoney and junior Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) registered assists on the play.
- The Owls outshot the Hounds 17-11 in the third period but the game remained a 2-2 tie to force overtime. With 15 seconds left in overtime, Assumption celebrated a goal following a scrum in the crease, but the goal was eventually called back to end the game 2-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Westfield State wen 2 for 4 on the powerplay while Assumption went 1 for 2. The Hounds tallied 53 shots while the Owls totaled 41. Mahoney was the only Assumption player to record a multipoint game .
- Zulauf made 39 saves in the tie, while Limburg tallied 51 saves.
- The Hounds return after the holiday break to host Saint Michael's in a weekend NE10 two-game series starting Friday, January 12th at 5:35 pm.