Score: Assumption 3, Stonehill 3 (OT)
Records: Assumption (1-3-1, 0-0-1 NE10), Stonehill (0-1-1, 0-0-1 NE10)
Location: Foxborough, Mass. (Foxborough Sports Center)
Lead: The Assumption men's ice hockey team had three different skaters with multi-point nights as they tied Stonehill 3-3 in their opening night of NE10 competition on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Just 6:29 into the first period senior forward Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) netted a goal assisted by line mate Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) and defenseman Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) to take the 1-0 lead and score the only goal in the first.
- Stonehill tied the game 1-1 as Jack Hall scored on the power play just 15 seconds into the second period, but Laughlin answered just five minutes later with a goal assisted by Tomassini and senior forward Ryan Bunyon (Westford, Mass. / Kents Hill School (Prep)) to reclaim the lead 2-1. With 4:06 left in the second the Skyhawks tied the game again as Shamus Maloney found the back of the net off an assist from Logan Stark.
- Both teams were held scoreless for the remainder of the second and beginning of the third until Peter McDonagh broke the draw, scoring a goal assisted by Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) and Bunyon. Maloney struck again to tie the game 3-3 and force overtime with 1:37 left in the period.
- Assumption outshot Stonehill 4-1 in overtime but Billy Palmer and freshman goaltender David Altman (Bristol, R.I. / Northern Cyclones (EHL)) each held on to the tie.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Stonehill found themselves in the box seven times but Assumption was unable to capitalize on the man advantage, while the Skyhawks went 1-3. Both teams each had 30 shots while Laughlin, Tomassini and Bunyon tallied two points each.
- Altman and Palmer each made 27 saves in the contest.
- Next Tuesday, the Hounds are back home at the Buffone Arena to face Framingham State at 7:35 in a non conference contest.