Score: Fitchburg 8, Assumption 3
Records: Assumption (1-3, 0-0 NE10), Fitchburg (2-0-1, 0-0-1 MASCAC)
Location: Fitchburg, Mass.
Lead: Assumption and Fitchburg State were tied 1-1 after 20 minutes of play, but the Falcons scored four times over the next 21 minutes to take an insurmountable lead and finish with a 8-3 victory over the Hounds on Saturday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- - Just 1:11 into the game Fitchburg State jumped out to a 1-0 lead after Corey Hayashi netted a goal off of Nick DiNicola and Ricky Kramer. Senior Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)) evened the score in the 16th minute of the first period after he scored an unassisted goal.
- In the second, the Falcons reclaimed the lead as Christopher Vicario took advantage of a power play opportunity. Over the next five minutes they added two more goals to take a 4-1 lead. John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass. / Williston Northampton School) trimmed the deficit to 4-2 at 14:48 to go into the third down two goals.
- Fitchburg State made it 5-2 just 23 seconds into the third and added two more goals over the next 11 minutes for a 7-2 advantage. Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) scored for a 7-3 margin, but the Falcons added a goal in the final minute for an 8-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption actually outshot Fitchburg State 31-19 in the contest but went 1-for-11 on the power play. The Falcons, meanwhiel, were 2-for-6 with an extra skater.
- Freshman David Altman (Bristol, R.I. / Northern Cyclones (EHL)) took the loss in net as he allowed six goals and made nine saves over 48:51, before being pulled for Brian Nazzaro (Braintree, Mass. / Walpole Express (EHL)) who made two saves in 11:09. Brian McGrath earned the win by making 28 saves.
- On Tuesday, the Hounds will open NE10 conference action as they travel to play Stonehill at 7pm.