- Tournament: NE10 Championship
- Results: 3rd of 10 teams | 297 + 293 = 590
- Date: October 1, 2018
- Location: En-Joie Golf Couse (Endicott, N.Y.)
- The Lead: Assumption lowered its total team score by four strokes as all five golfers shot a 75 or lower to lead the Hounds to its best finish at the NE10 Championships since 2007 on Monday at the En-Joie Golf Course.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Andrew Sanzaro (Wethersfield, Conn. / Wethersfield) posted the lowest score of the day with a 1-under 71, finishing with a 2-over 146 for the tournament which was good for seventh overall. The 71 was tied for the second-lowest score of any golfer on Monday, after Sanzaro shot a 75 on Sunday.
Freshman Lucas Roop (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) and junior Zach Magarian (Worcester, Mass. / West Boylston) both finished tied for 12th overall by shooting a 148. Roop posted a second-day 75, while Magarian finished with a 74 for the second straight round.
- Junior Mark Bryant (Hardwick, N.J. / North Warren Regional) shot a 75 for the second straight day for a 150 overall, tying him for 18th in the competition. Senior James Elliott (Gill, Mass. / Pioneer Valley Regional) was an impressive 1-over with a 73 to move up to tie for 32nd, after an opening 82 on Sunday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot the second-best score of the day with a 293, just five shots behind eventual winner Southern N.H. The Hounds dropped four strokes from their Sunday score for a 590 overall, six strokes ahead of fourth place Franklin Pierce. Assumption finished four strokes behind Bentley, while the Penmen won the event with a 574.
- The third place finish is the best for Assumption since the team earned runner-up honors in 2007. It is the first top-four finish for the Hounds since they tied for fourth with Franklin Pierce in 2014 by shooting a 610 overall.
- Assumption's 290 is the lowest score in the NE10 Championship in the history of the program.
- The Hounds return to action on Oct. 8 when they compete in the Post Invitational.