- Score: Le Moyne 71, Assumption 47
- Record: Le Moyne (15-7, 9-5 NE10), Assumption (6-15, 2-12 NE10),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption struggled to get in an offensive rhythm and Le Moyne pulled away over the final 20 minutes of action to secure a 71-47 victory over the Hounds in Syracuse on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) gave the Hounds a 3-0 lead, but Le Moyne answered with the next seven points. Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII / San Francisco State) eventually closed the gap to just two, 9-7, at 15:20. Assumption managed just two points over the next five minutes as the Dolphins stretched their lead to 17-9.
- Freshman Chris Crespo (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) ended the run with a basket at 9:48 and the team's traded buckets over the next five minutes, until a Le Moyne triple pushed the score to 27-15 with 4:40 left in the half. The Hounds outscored the Dolphins 4-3 the rest of the period to trail 30-19 at the break.
- Le Moyne opened the second on an 8-2 run to stretch its lead to 38-21 just four minutes into the half. Rance connected on a triple to end the drought, but the Dolphin offense kept firing and extended their lead to 49-29 midway through the period. Assumption was unable to get any closer the rest of the way and a Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Canterbury) jumper in the last minute provided the 71-47 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 37.0 percent from the field and was 11-for-13 from the free throw line but made just 2 of 15 three-point attempts. Le Moyne made 48.3 percent of its attempts overall and was 8-for-25 from downtown. The Dolphins also held a 31-29 rebounding edge while forcing 13 Hounds turnovers.
- Rance paced the offense with 16 points and eight rebounds while Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) was also in double figures with 10 points and four boards. Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) provided six points, five rebounds and two assists off the bench.
- Tom Brown led Le Moyne with 13 points, ten rebounds and three assists while Kobi Kwandu posted 13 points with two assists. Malik Garner chipped in ten points and three assists.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team hosts Merrimack at 7:30 p.m.