- Score: Adelphi 80, Assumption 79
- Records: Adelphi (9-6, 3-4 NE10), Assumption (5-10, 1-7 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption overcame a 14-point halftime deficit to grab a two-point lead in the final four minutes, however, Adelphi took back a one-point lead in the final minute and Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard) last-second three was just off the mark as the Panthers held on for an 80-79 victory on Wednesday
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption fell behind 8-4 in the opening two minutes, before Kelly went on a personal 8-0 run to give the Hounds a 12-8 lead. Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) pushed the lead to 15-10 at 15:27, however, Adelphi answered back with the next eight points for an 18-15 advantage. Assumption responded to take a 19-18 lead with 12 minutes remaining. The Panthers scored six straight as part of a 10-2 run for a 28-21 lead midway through the period. The Hounds pulled within four, 32-28, on a Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H./Spaulding/Tilton) triple, but Adelphi finished the half on a 16-6 run to grab a 48-34 advantage at the half.
- The Hounds came out in the second with a quick basket by Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia/Pope John XXIII/San Francisco State) to trim the Panthers lead to 12. Adelphi answered with four points to take a 16-point lead with 18:21 left to play. Assumption then went on a 7-0 run that ended with a Connelly three to cut it to seven, 63-56, with 11:37 remaining.
- The teams went back-and-forth until Michael Speight (Morningside, Md./Wise/Canterbury) connected on a triple in the corner to pull the Hounds within two, 71-69, at 5:25. Rance then followed with layup to tie the game at 71 with 4:22 left to play. The Hounds took a two-point lead at the 3:27 mark after Connelly made two free throws, 73-71. Adelphi answered with a layup to tie the game at 73 apiece with 2:30 left.
- The Panthers took a three-point lead with 56 seconds left, only for Speight to counter with a layup and draw within one again. Adelphi extended their lead to 78-75 with a pair of free throws, before a Kelly layup cut it to one. Adelphi made two more free throws, followed by a layup from Speight to make it 80-79 with 15 seconds left to play. The Panthers missed the front end of a one-and-one with 7.9 seconds left and Kelly got a good look at a deep three in the final seconds but it was off the mark as Adelphi held on for the one-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kelly led the Hounds with 23 points, six rebounds, two assists and two blocks, followed by Connelly with 19 points, four boards and three assists. Rance added 19 points and six boards while Speight chipped in nine and three rebounds.
- Assumption shot 50.0 percent from the floor, 37.0 percent from three and 5-for-6 from the free throw line while earning 30 rebounds, 14 assists, four blocks and three steals. Adelphi shot 52.7 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from three and made 16 of 19 shots at the charity stripe. They also had 30 rebounds while committing just ten turnovers.
- The Panthers were led by Jack Laffey with 17 points followed by Austin Beech with 15 and nine rebounds, while Conor McGuinness had 14 points, seven assists and three steals.
- Assumption returns to action on Jan. 12 when the team travels to play New Haven at 3:30 p.m.