- The Score: Chestnut Hill 59, Assumption 56
- Records: Assumption (4-6), Chestnut Hill (3-6)
- Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Sorgenti Arena)
- The Lead: Assumption let a five-point lead slip away in the final four minutes of regulation, and a last-second three rattled out as Chestnut Hill held on for a 59-56 victory in non-conference action on Saturday in Philadelphia.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chestnut Hill grabbed a 9-6 lead in the opening five minutes of the contest, before a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) triple tied the score up at 14:50. The two teams traded points over the next four minutes before five straight extended the Assumption lead to 20-13 with 9:46 left.
- Leading by five, Chris Crespo (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) and Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) connected on a consecutive threes to extend their lead to 28-17 with 5:58 remaining in the half. Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXII) put Assumption up 33-23 with 2:25 left and Fleming hit a pair of free throws in the final 32 seconds to go into the half with a 35-25 advantage.
- The Griffins closed the deficit to just five points three minutes into the second half. Kelly answered with a fastbreak layup following a Fleming steal for a 39-32 lead at 15:59. Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) extended it to 41-32 one minute later. A 12-4 run by Chestnut Hill cut the deficit to just 45-44 midway through the period and the Griffins took a 46-45 lead at 9:37.
- Trailing 48-45 with 8:39 left, Assumption went on a 10-2 run to capture a 55-50 advantage which was punctuated by a Kelly shot from downtown. Chestnut Hill pulled back within two and then connected on a three with 1:41 left for a 57-56 lead. The Hounds were unable to score on their next two possessions and were forced to foul with 24 seconds left. The Griffins made both free throws for a 59-56 lead. Assumption turned the ball over but a missed Chestnut Hill free throw gave them one final attempt with one second left. Cal Connelly's (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding) three from the wing at the buzzer rattled in and out as the Hounds were unable to force overtime.
INSIDE THE NUBMERS:
- Assumption shot 33.9 percent from the floor, compared to 41.4 percent for Chestnut Hill. The Griffins were 2-for-7 from deep while the Hounds hit 9 of 25 from downtown. Chestnut Hill held a 44-34 rebounding advantage and attempted nine more free throws (17-8) in the contest.
- Vujadinovic led the Hounds with 16 points, ten rebounds, three steals and two assists while Kelly came through with 15 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals. Fleming chipped in a season-high seven points with five rebounds, three assists and two steals off the bench.
- Dexter Thompson led Chestnut Hill with 13 points and ten rebounds while Trevonn Pitts supplied 12 points, six rebounds and three assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday, Dec. 18 when they travel to play Franklin Pierce at 7:30 p.m.