- Score: Assumption 82, Concordia 65
- Record: Assumption (2-0), Concordia (0-2)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption went on a run midway through the first half and into the break up ten points, and extended its advantage as high as 24 in the second half on the way to an impressive 82-65 victory over Concordia on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 9-6 lead in the opening 3:40 on three-point play from Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph). The two teams went back-and-forth, before a 7-2 run gave the Clippers a 17-14 lead with 12:14 left in the period.
- Consecutive triples by freshmen Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Caterbury) and Chris Crespo (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) put the Hounds back in front, 20-17, jumpstarting a 13-0 run to stretch their lead to 27-17 with 7:42 left in the period. Assumption continued to press its advantage and pushed its lead as high as 15 points on a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) three, before going into the half with a 40-28 advantage.
- The Hounds opened the second half on a 14-2 run, capped off by a Kelly triple at 16:49 to grab a 54-30 lead. However, Concordia responded with a run of its own, closing the gap to just 56-45 with ten minutes left in regulation.
- Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) ended the run with a layup and then scored at 7:04 to extend 61-47. The Clippers cut it to 11 points once again, but Vujadinovic connected on a corner three on a nice feed from Kelly to push it back to 69-54 with 2:49 remaining in regulation. Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) and Kelly both made free throws in the final 1:30 as the Hounds held on for the 17-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 44.1 percent from the floor and was 10 of 23 from downtown while limiting Concordia to just 41.9 percent overall and 6-for-20 from beyond the arc. The Hounds also held a 39-32 rebounding edge and dished off 18 assists with nine steals.
- Brown was dominant inside with 17 points and seven rebounds while Vujadinovic added 18 points, six rebounds, three steals, three assists and two blocks. Freshman Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) was also in double figures with 11 points and two boards
- Kelly finished with 14 points and had four rebounds with two assists. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) didn't score in the contest but dished off a team-high seven assists while also pulling down five boards with only one turnover.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team travels to face off against Merrimack at 7:30 p.m. in the team's conference opener.