-Score: Assumption 70, Saint Anselm 67
-Records: Assumption (3-14, 7-16 NE10), Saint Anselm (12-5, 17-6 NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
-The Lead: The Hounds upset regionally ranked Saint Anselm, outscoring the Hawks 38-30 in the second half, including a clutch three from Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) with 43 seconds left to take the lead for good and eventually come away with a 70-67 victory on Tuesday night in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds started off strong against the Hawks, gaining a 4-0 lead within the first couple minutes. The teams then traded baskets over the next eight minutes, with a triple from Kelly putting Assumption in front 18-16 at 9:29. Neither team could gain an edge and Branislav Vujadinovic's (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) three-pointer with two minutes left in the first half allowed Assumption to gain a 30-29 advantage. However, Hawks ended the half on a 7-2 run to take a 37-32 lead at the break.
- Assumption kept it close through the second half, as a Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) layup had the Hounds down just 47-46 at 14:14. The teams traded baskets over the next seven minutes, with Saint Anselm holding a 55-51 lead with 7:10 left.
- Kelly keyed a 6-0 run to take a 57-55 lead with 5:33 left, thought Tim Guers tied it up a minute later. Trailing by two with 1:37 left, Kelly connected on a three to put the Hounds back in front, and after a Hawk layup, he hit another fadeaway triple for a 67-65 advantage with just 43 seconds left. Assumption then went 3-for-4 from the free throw line in the final 21 seconds and got a steal in the last two seconds to secure the three-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 50.0 percent overall while making 6 of 15 threes and going 10-for-16 from the charity stripe. Saint Anselm also shot 50.0 percent overall, but made just 27.3 percent from the three-point line. The Hounds were outrebounded 32-28, but forced the Hawks into six more turnovers and earned 21 points off those turnovers.
- Sullivan led the offense with 21 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and two steals while Vujadinovic scored 19 points with six boards and four assists. Kelly was impressive with 16 points, including 12 from beyond the arc as he was 4-for-5 from downtown. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) was solid as he had six points and seven boards while playing tough defense.
- Guers led Saint Anselm with 25 points and five rebounds, but had six turnovers. Cody Ball added 12 points and four rebounds with two steals.
- Assumption will host Saint Michael's on Saturday, February 10 at 3:30pm.