- Score: Bentley 87, Assumption 82
- Records: Bentley (12-9, 9-7 NE10), Assumption (6-16, 2-14 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Dana Center)
- The Lead: Assumption cut a second-half deficit from 20 points to just a single point behind a career-high 36 points from Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard), but Bentley made its free throws in the last minute to escape with an 87-82 victory on Saturday afternoon in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- It was tied 5-5 early in the first, before a 7-2 run by Bentley pushed its lead to 12-7 at 14:02. The Falcons led 17-12, though four straight points from Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) initiated an 11-4 run to put Assumption in front 23-21 with 9:13 left.
- Bentley responded with five straight points to take back the lead, though the Hounds trimmed it to just 30-29 on a triple by Kelly with 4:47 remaining. Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) tied the contest 32-32 on Assumption's next possession, however, the Falcons outscored the Hounds 10-3 in the last three minutes for a 45-37 advantage at the break.
- Five minutes into the second half, Bentley extended its advantage to 60-43. The Hounds were unable to close the gap and trailed 70-50 with 11:47 remaining. Seven straight by the visitors trimmed the deficit to 13 points midway through the period.
- The teams traded baskets over the next five minutes, leaving Assumption down 78-64 with 5:34 left. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) had a three-point play to cut it to 11, which jumpstarted a 15-3 run to made it a two-point game, 81-79, with 57 seconds left on a Kelly jumper. Bentley's Ryan Richmond connected on a pair of three throws but Kelly hit another triple to pull the Hounds within one, 83-82, with 27 seconds remaining. Richmond made two more free throws and Assumption turned it over on its next possession as Bentley escaped with the 87-82 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 50.0 percent overall while making 11 three-pointers and shooting 37.9 percent from downtown. Bentley connected on 56.6 percent of its shots, including an impressive 12-for-20 performance from beyond the arc. The Hounds did have a 33-28 rebounding edge while dishing off 19 assists.
- Kelly went off for a career-high 36 points while playing the full 40 minutes. He shot 14-for-22 from the floor and made six threes to go with five rebounds, two assists and three rebounds. It's the most points by an Assumption player since Casey Carney went off for 41 at Saint Anselm on Feb. 13, 2001.
- Vujadinovic was also in double figures with 20 points, five rebounds and three assists. Fleming flirted with a triple double, registering 14 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists while Boehlert chipped in ten points.
- Richmond led Bentley with 27 points, five rebounds and four assists while Chris Hudson posted 19 points, two rebounds and two assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday when they host Saint Anselm at 7:30 pm.