- Score: Merrimack 76, Assumption 66
- Records: Merrimack (15-7, 11-4 NE10), Assumption (6-15, 2-13 NE10)
- Location: North Andover, Mass. (Hammel Court)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by eight at the half and then by just nine points with less six minutes remaining, but couldn't get any closer as Merrimack held the Hounds off to earn a 76-66 victory on Wednesday evening in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Merrimack took a 10-4 lead four minutes into the contest, though four straight from the Hounds pulled them back within two at 14:30. The Warriors pushed their lead to 20-10 midway through the period and extended it to 25-12 at 8:30.
- Freshman Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) ended the run with consecutive threes, jumpstarting a 14-8 run to pull Assumption within seven, 33-26, with 4:45 remaining. Four straight from Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) trimmed the deficit to just 35-30 with 1:19 left, though Merrimack added three points for a 38-30 edge at the break.
- Assumption started the second half on an 8-2 run, capped off by a Boehlert three to make it a 40-38 contest. The Hounds cut it to 46-45 on a Vujadinovic layup at 15:27, however, the Warriors answered with a 16-2 run to stretch their lead to 62-47 midway through the period.
- After trailing by 17, the Hounds cut it to ten and then Boehlert's sixth three of the evening trimmed the Merrimack lead to only 66-57 with 5:56 remaining. The Warriors responded with the next eight points to put the game out of reach as they came away with the 10-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 42.6 percent overall, including 11 of 29 from beyond the arc, while going 9-for-13 from the free throw line. Merrimack made 55.6 percent of its field goal attempts, including 9-for-22 from downtown. The Warriors held a slight 31-29 rebounding edge.
- Boehlert scored a career-high 23 points, highlighted by a career-best seven threes, while grabbing five rebounds with one block. Vujadinovic supplied 18 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals while Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) chipped in 13 points, four rebounds and two steals.
- Juvaris Hayes posted a double-double of 17 points, 16 assists, six rebounds and three steals while Ryan Boulter added 13 points and six boards.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they travel to play Bentley at 3:30 pm.