- Score: Southern Conn. 77, Assumption 68
- Record: Southern Conn. (9-9, 6-7 NE10), Assumption (6-13, 2-11 NE10)
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (Moore Field House)
- The Lead: Assumption cut a double-digit deficit to just six points in the final two minutes of regulation but was unable to complete the comeback as the Hounds fell 77-64 to Southern Connecticut State on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams went back-and-forth over the opening five minutes, with a jumper from Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) giving Assumption a slight 13-12 advantage at 14:45. SCSU took back the lead and went on a 12-3 run over the next six minutes to extend its lead to 24-16.
- The Hounds ended the run with a Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) triple to pull within five and Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) made it a three-point game with 5:41 left. A 12-2 run by the Owls pushed their lead to 36-23 with two minutes remaining, however, Assumption managed to close the gap to 36-28 at the break.
- In the third, the Hounds were able to trim the deficit to seven points on a Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) three at 15:21. SCSU answered with a basket and slowly built its lead over the next seven minutes to as high as 61-45 with 8:58 remaining.
- Assumption went on a run to cut the deficit to ten at 5:30 and Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) scored six straight to close the gap to 66-59 with 3:10 remaining. With 1:35 left, Sullivan connected on a triple from the top of the key to trail just 70-64, however, the Hounds were unable to score again as they fell by 13 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 42.4 percent from the floor and 32.0 percent from downtown while the Owls made 48.4 percent of their field goal attempts and were 7 of 21 from beyond the arc. They also held a 45-28 rebounding advantage.
- Four players scored in double figures, led by Vujadinovic and Shea with 13 points apiece. Vujadinovic added seven rebounds, four assists and three steals. Kelly contributed 10 points, five rebounds and three assists while Sullivan had 11 points and three boards.
- Isaiah McLeod had 20 points, ten rebounds and six assists for SCSU while Bernard Brantley had 12 points, seven assists and four boards.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they host Le Moyne at 3:30 pm.