- Score: AIC 68, Assumption 56
- Records: AIC (9-9, 4-6 NE10), Assumption (6-11, 2-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption started out hot in the first, taking a ten-point lead into the break, however, the Yellow Jackets outscored the Hounds by 22 points in the final 20 minutes for a 68-56 victory on the road Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds started hot early, with Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) and Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) and knocking down a few triples to provide a 20-10 advantage with 8:43 left in the period. Assumption continued to play tough defense as the Yellow Jackets tried to close the deficit to single digits.
- A 5-0 spurt pushed the Hound lead to 30-18 with 3:50 left. However, the Yellow Jackets came alive on defense to end the first half with two takeaways and made a shot with 11 seconds left to trail 33-23 at the break. Kelly and Vujadinovic led the team with eight points and two assists apiece in the half.
- The second half was back-and-forth early, with a three-point play from Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) making it 39-27 at 17:01. AIC answered with a triple eight seconds later, which jumpstarted a 15-0 run by the Yellow Jackets to put them in front 42-39 with 12:18 left in regulation.
- Assumption went on a run to pull back within two on a three from Vujadinovic with 9:17 remaining, though nine straight by AIC allowed the lead to swell to 11 at 6:17. The Hounds tried to close the gap over the final three minutes but clutch free throws from the Yellow Jackets held them off and the visitors finished with the 12-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 31.1 percent from the floor in the contest, including 10 of 36 from downtown and 8-for-9 from the free throw line. AIC made 41.3 percent of its attempts and was 5-for-22 from beyond the arc while outrebounding the Hounds 48-33.
- Vujadinovic had 15 points, six rebounds and three assists but was 5-for-17 from the floor, while Kelly added 11 points, four assists and three steals. Sullivan supplied ten points and four rebounds.
- Tahlib Swan paced his team with 19 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks, while Adonis Williams chipped in 14 points, ten rebounds, six steals and three assists.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they travel to play The College of Saint Rose at 3:30 pm.