- Score: Assumption 74, Pace 67
- Records: Assumption (6-10, 2-8 NE10), Pace (5-13, 1-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption used a run early in the first half to build a double-digit lead and never trailed again in the contest while holding off a late Pace run to capture a crucial 74-67 conference victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption came out hot, opening up a 13-6 lead on a three by Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph). Pace closed within five, but eight straight by the Hounds provided a 21-8 advantage at 13:24. The Setters trimmed it to single digits, but five straight, capped by a Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) layup, made it 28-14 with 10:35 left.
The teams traded baskets over the next six minutes, with a pair of Pace free throws cutting the score to 36-28 with 4:11 remaining. The Setters closed within six 2:11 left, though a jumper by Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) with 74 seconds left gave Assumption a 41-33 lead going into the break.
- Pace opened the second on a 6-2 run to trim the Hounds lead to just 43-39. The Setters eventually tied the game at 47 apiece, however, back-to-back threes from Kelly and Darien Walcott (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) made it a six-point game with 12:07 remaining in the period. Assumption followed those shots up with an 8-2 run to stretch its lead to 61-48 with 9:30 left.
- The two teams traded baskets over the next five minutes, before seven straight by the Setters trimmed the Hound lead to just 65-62. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) connected on a pair of free throws at 2:41 for the five-point lead. Pace cut it to three, but Shea was fouled on a three-point attempt and made all three free throws for the six-point lead with 1:53 as Assumption held on for the seven-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 46.9 percent from the floor, including an impressive 12 of 22 from beyond the arc and 16-for-18 from the free throw line. Pace made 46.4 percent of its shots overall but was 0-for-9 from downtown and 15-for-21 from the charity stripe.
- Vujadinovic led the team with 19 points, three rebounds and two steals while Shea added 17 points, two rebounds and two assists. Kelly was in double figured with ten points, three rebounds and three assists. Fleming chipped in six rebounds, six assists and four points.
- Ray Montilus had 15 points and six steals while Peyton Wejnert added 18 points, nine rebounds and two blocks.
- The Hounds return to action on Wednesday when they host AIC at 7:30 pm.