- Score: New Haven 64, Assumption 56
- Records: New Haven (7-6, 4-4 NE10), Assumption (4-10, 1-8 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption and New Haven were tied 24 apiece at the end of the first half, but the Chargers went on a run early in the second and never gave up the lead again on the way to a 64-56 victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams traded baskets over the first six minutes, before New Haven went on a 12-2 run to extend its lead to 18-8 with 8:13 left. The lead was 23-18 when Darien Walcott (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) made a triple to cut the deficit to five at 4:30. The Hounds finished the period on a 9-1 run, capped off by another Walcott trifecta to tie it up 24-24 at the break.
- Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) gave Assumption a 26-24 lead 25 seconds into the second, though a 14-5 run by the Chargers gave them a 38-31 lead. The Hounds closed the gap to 44-39 and then Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) made it a 44-40 contest at 9:43.
- The teams traded baskets over the next three minutes, before a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) triple cut the deficit to just 52-51 with 5:09 remaining. Assumption missed a go-ahead three on its next possession and five straight by New Haven pushed the lead back to six in the final two minutes as the Chargers held on for eight-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 35.8 percent overall and made 9 of 28 three-point attempts, while New Haven connected on 44.0 percent of its field goal attempts and was 7-for-23 from downtown. The Chargers also had a 39-32 rebounding edge.
- Vujadinovic was in double figures, scoring 11 points with three assists and two steals, while Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) grabbed 12 boards to go with 10 points and five assists. Walcott game off the bench to supply nine points and two rebounds.
- Danny Upchurch scored all 20 of his points in the second half, to go with eight assists and four rebounds, while Najee Larcher had ten points and ten boards.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team travels to play NYIT in the Barclay's Center at 1:30 pm.