- Score: Assumption 81, Mercy 68
- Records: Assumption (3-9), Mercy (6-6)
- Location: Purchase, N.Y. (Kennedy Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by nine points after the opening 20 minutes, but outscored Mercy by 22 points in the second half to come away with an impressive 81-68 victory over the Mavericks on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams traded baskets over the opening six minutes, and were tied 12 apiece. Midway through the quarter it was 18-18, before a 12-2 run by Mercy pushed its lead to 30-20 at 5:39. Assumption closed the gap to five points and then eventually three, 35-32, on two Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) free throws. However, the Mavericks pulled away for a 41-32 lead at the break.
- Assumption scored eight straight points over the first two minutes of the second, and a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) layup at 17:52 put the Hounds in front 42-41. They extended the lead to 45-41, before Mercy ended its scoring drought at 16:12.
- Another run by the Hounds extended their lead to 54-47 with 11:48 left. The Mavericks pulled within five, but Kelly connected on a triple for an eight-point advantage and Darien Walcott (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) made two free throws to stretch the lead to 59-49 midway through the period.
- Mercy pulled within ten points, 66-56, with 7:57 left, though Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) jumpstarted a 7-2 run to push the lead to double digits and Mercy never got closer than 11 points over the final four minutes as the Hounds finished with the 13-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 49.2 percent from the floor and finished 6 of 26 from downtown while Mercy made 41.5 percent of its shots and was only 2-for-13 from beyond the arc. The Hounds also held a 39-33 rebounding edge.
- Kelly scored a career-high 29 points, with 19 coming in the second half, while adding five rebounds, two assists and two steals in 37 minutes. Fleming added his second double-double of the season with ten points, 11 rebounds and four assists.
- Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) supplied 14 points, five rebounds and three steals while Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) chipped in nine points and six boards.
- Dequawne Richards led Mercy with 21 points while Marko Kozul added 13 points, six rebounds and a block.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday then the team travels to play Adelphi at 7:30 pm.