- Score: Assumption 65, Nyack 63
- Records: Assumption (2-9), Nyack (1-8)
- Location: Nyack, N.Y. (Bowman Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by two at the half but came back to take the lead in the second and held off a late run by Nyack to escape with a 65-63 victory on the road Saturday afternoon in non-conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Nyack scored the opening ten points of the game, though Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) hit four shots from downtown as Assumption closed the gap to 14-12 at 9:34. The Hounds trailed by four two minutes later, before the Warriors went on a run to take a 29-19 lead with 4:53 left. Assumption closed the half on a 12-4 run, capped off by two Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) free throws to trail 33-31 at the break.
- The Hounds scored the opening four points of the second to grab their first lead. The teams then traded baskets and Assumption's lead climbed as high as five before Nyack evened the game up 46 apiece at 10:51.
- Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) gave the Hounds a one-point lead, 49-48, and neither team could extend their advantage higher than three. Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) eventually tied it up 53-53 with a layup at 4:38 and Kelly gave them a 56-53 lead just over a minute later. Sullivan followed with a pair of free throws for the five-point advantage.
- Nyack managed to close the gap to two at 58-56 and 60-58, but Assumption answered each time. Branislav Vujadinovic's (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) layup made it a 62-58 lead with only 53 seconds left, and 23 seconds later Kelly hit two free throws for a six-point advantage. Kelly added one free throw with 18 seconds left and the Hounds held off five straight points from the Warriors in the final 18 seconds, including a last-second three qhich missed, to escape with the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 43.8 percent from the floor in the contest, including 10 of 25 from downtown and 13-for-16 from the free throw line. Nyack made 44.8 percent of its shots but was only 5 of 18 from beyond the arc and missed half of its 12 free throw attempts. The Hounds held a slight 33-30 rebounding advantage.
- Five players scored in double figures, led by Shea with 15 points and two rebounds. Kelly dished off a team-high six assists with 13 points while Vujadinovic posted 12 points, four rebounds and two assists.
- Boehlert chipped in 12 points and five rebounds in 19 minutes off the bench while Sullivan added 11 points, five rebounds and two assists.
- Rashard Lewis led Nyack with 21 points and five rebounds while Imran Ritchie was in double figures with ten points.
- Assumption returns to action on Dec. 30 when the team travels to play Mercy at SUNY Purchase at 2 pm.