- Score: Franklin Pierce 76, Assumption 65
- Records: Franklin Pierce (4-5, 2-5 NE10), Assumption (1-9, 0-7)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Franklin Pierce built an 11-point halftime lead and Assumption was never able to get it into single digit over the final 20 minutes of action as the Ravens came away with a 76-65 victory on Sunday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption and Franklin Pierce were tied 8-8 on a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) triple at 14:20 and two minutes later Nick Pasquale (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Worcester Academy) gave them a 15-13 lead. However, eight straight by the Ravens gave them a 21-15 advantage midway through the period.
- The Hounds closed the gap to just 23-19 on a Kelly layup at 8:03, but Franklin Pierce kept Assumption off the board over the next five minutes while extending its lead to 32-19. The team's traded baskets over the last 2:30 as the Ravens led 34-23 at the break.
- Franklin Pierce extended its lead to 15 points 3:11 into the second half and then 47-30 at 14:56. Six straight from the Hounds closed the gap to 47-36 on a Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) triple three minutes later, however seven straight from the Ravens bumped the lead back up to 18 with 10:6 remaining.
- Assumption managed to eventually pull back within ten on a pair of Kelly free throws with 5:33 left, but Franklin Pierce connected on its next three shots to put the game out of reach as they finished with an 11-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 37.0 percent in the contest and was 10 of 23 from deep while Franklin Pierce connected on 49.1 percent of its shots and was 9-for-23 from beyond the arc. The Hounds forced the Ravens into 20 turnovers though they were outrebounded 40-30.
- Kelly paced the offense with a career-high 28 points, including 6-for-7 shooting from downtown, to go with seven rebounds, five assists and zero turnovers. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) was also in double figured with 12 points, eight assists and three rebounds.
- Vujadinovic chipped in nine points and four boards while Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) added five points, five rebounds and three steals.
- Four players scored in double figures for Franklin Pierce, led by Mike McDevitt with 18 points and five rebounds, while Falu Seck contributed 14 points, seven assists and five rebounds.
- Assumption returns to action next Saturday when the team travels to play Nyack at 3:00 pm.