- Score: Stonehill 76, Assumption 65
- Records: Stonehill (4-5, 3-3 NE10), Assumption (1-8, 0-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by midway through the first half and closed the gap to nine late in the second, but Stonehill shot 48.5 percent from beyond on the arc in the contest while making 16 three-pointers to come away with a 76-65 win on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill jumped out to a 10-2 lead before Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) connected on back-to-back triples, and Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) followed with one of his own to give the Hounds an 11-10 lead at 12:22. The Skyhawks took back the lead before Vujadinovic evened it up at 16 apiece with 9:34 remaining.
- The Skyhawks extended their lead to 22-18 and eventually pushed it to 28-19 with 2:54 remaining in the period. Each team made one a shot from downtown for a 31-22 score at the break.
- In the third, Stonehill outscored Assumption 15-10 over opening four minutes and eventually stretched its lead to 58-40 with 9:53 remaining in the contest. Jaden Rhoden (Lakewood, N.J. / Toms River North) ended the drought and the Hounds pulled within 15 with six minutes left.
- Trailing by 17 with 2:31 remaining Assumption scored nine consecutive points, capped off by a Vujadinovic triple, to cut the deficit to just 70-61 at 1:26. The Hounds then were forced to foul and Stonehill made all six of its free throws in final 80 seconds to finish with a 76-65 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Stonehill was an impressive 16 of 33 from beyond the arc and made 46.3 percent of its shots overall while Assumption shot 44.2 percent and connected on 10 of 25 triples. Both teams had 29 rebounds, while the Hounds had 16 assists and seven steals.
- Vujadinovic led his team with 16 points, five rebounds and two assists while Fleming posted his first career double-double, scoring 11 points and grabbing ten boards. Freshman Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) came off the bench to score 11 points while Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) chipped in six points, six assists and two rebounds.
- Brandon Twitty was an impressive 8-for-12 from deep and finished with 30 points and four rebounds, as one of three players in double figures for Stonehill. KJ Lee added 12 points, five boards and four assists.
- Assumption returns to action on Sunday when the team hosts Franklin Pierce at 3:30 pm.