- Score: Southern New Hampshire 76, Assumption 65
- Records: Assumption (1-7, 0-5 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (8-0, 5-0 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (SNHU Fieldhouse)
- The Lead: Southern New Hampshire led by seven points at the half and extended its lead to 19 points in the second before a furious run by Assumption closed the gap to just six points. However, the Penmen made their free throws down the stretch to hold off the Hounds 76-65 on Saturday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams traded baskets and were tied 11-11 through the game's first six minutes. Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) eventually gave Assumption a 20-18 lead with 9:23 left in the half, however, a 11-3 run by SNHU provided a 29-23 advantage with four minutes remaining. The Hounds pulled back within three, though another run gave the Penmen a 35-28 lead at the half.
- SNHU opened the second half on a 12-2 run for a 47-32 lead four minutes into the period. Over the next seven minutes the Penmen slowly extended their lead to 19, before a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) jumper made it 57-40 with 8:53 left.
- Kelly's basket jumpstarted a 12-3 run, with a three-point play by Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) closing the gap to 60-52 at 5:50. Two minutes later, Kelly cut the deficit to just 66-60, but four straight pushed the lead back to ten with 1:30 left. SHNU went 6-for-8 from the free throw line in the final 68 seconds to earn the 11-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 47.9 percent from the floor and made just 8 of 26 three-point attempts while the Penmen shot 53.2 percent overall and were 5 of 15 from downtown. SNHU held a slight 28-25 rebounding edge while dishing off 11 assists.
- Vujadinovic scored a career-high 24 points with seven rebounds while Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) was also in double figures with 12 points and four boards. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) chipped in eight points, nine rebounds and four assists.
- Four players scored in double figures for SNHU, led by 21 points from Dimitri Floras. Daquaise Andrews posted 15 points and ten rebounds.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team hosts Stonehill on Tuesday at 7:30 pm.