- Score: Assumption 79, Molloy 70
- Records: Assumption (1-5), Molloy (1-5)
- Location: Rockville Centre, N.Y. (Quealy Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption saw its second-half lead dwindle as low as two points in the final ten minutes, but the Hounds outscored Molloy 16-9 over the last six minutes of regulation to come away with a 79-70 non-conference victory Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took an early lead as Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) connected on triple at 12:13 to provide a 16-11 advantage. Molloy chipped away and scored four straight to pull in front 22-21 with 8:15 left in the half. Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) tied the game at 24, before seven straight gave the Lions a 31-24 lead. They led by five in the final minute, before a Kelly layup made it 34-31 at the break.
- Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) tied the game 34 apiece just 46 seconds into the period, though an 8-3 run gave Molloy a 42-37 advantage. The Hounds answered with a 16-4 run of their own, capped off by a Jaden Rhoden (Lakewood, N.J. / Toms River North) layup with 13:31 left for a 53-46 lead.
- Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) extended it to 60-50 at 10:45, though an 11-3 run by the Lions closed the gap to only 63-61 with 6:19 remaining. Four straight points from Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) pushed the lead to six and the team added four more to stretch it to 71-61. Assumption went 8-for-10 from the free throw line the rest of the way and allowed just two field goals to come away with the nine-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot an even 50 percent from the floor and made 10 of 22 three-point attempts while limiting Molloy to 40.3 percent shooting. The Lions did connect on 12 of 30 triples but were outrebounded 38-28.
- Kelly scored a career-high 21 points point with four assists and two rebounds while Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) had a double-double of 17 points and 10 boards. Vujadinovic added 13 points, six rebounds and three assists.
- Shea was also in double figures 11 points while Fleming added eight points, eight rebounds and four assists.
- Nick Corbett led Molloy with 22 points while Chris O'Reilly added 16 with two rebounds.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team travels to play Saint Michael's at 7:30 pm.