- Score: Pace 75, Assumption 61
- Records: Assumption (6-11, 2-10 NE-10) Pace (8-12, 5-7 NE-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: On Friday night at Laska Gym, the Assumption College men's basketball team came up short in a 75-61 home loss to Pace University in Northeast-10 Conference play. The game was the lone regular-season meeting between the two teams this season and was moved up a day due to the impending winter storm.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two teams started out even over the first 10 minutes of the opening half as the game was tied at 13-13 with 10:10 left following a layup from Bryan Rivers. The teams traded the lead back and forth eight times over the final 10 minutes of the period, capped by a Shelton Mickell layup with eight seconds remaining for the 35-34 Pace halftime lead.
- Assumption owned a 16-4 advantage in bench scoring in the first half, which Pace outscored the Hounds in the paint by a 16-10 margin.
- In the second half, the Hounds used a quick three-point play from junior Reilly Reid (Mississauga, Ontario/Lorne Park) to take a 37-35 lead before Pace answered with a decisive 20-3 run to take control at 55-40 with 13:23 remaining.
- The Hounds closed to within six on two occasions, including at 59-53 with 6:53 left after a jumper from freshman Justin Tuckson (Stafford, Va./Christ Chapel Academy). The Setters answered though and led by at least eight over the remainder of the contest, en route to the 14-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Pace finished the game with a 28-12 edge in the paint, while all five Setter starters finished in double figures.
- Assumption had three players finish in double figures, led by a 14-point effort from senior Tre Owens (Rota, Spain/Rota). Tuckson chipped in 12 in 20 minutes off the bench, while sophomore Kamali Bey (Springfield, Mass./Wilbraham & Monson) had 10 points in 20 minutes.
- Mickell was the top scorer for the Setters with 20 points, while Rivers nearly posted a double-double with 11 points and nine rebounds.
- Assumption is back in action on Tuesday, January 26th as the Hounds travel to Southern Connecticut for a 7:30 p.m. start in New Haven, Conn.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the men's basketball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.