- Score: Assumption 4, Southern N.H. 2
- Records: Assumption (10-7, 7-6 NE10), Southern N.H. (10-8, 8-5 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Southern New Hampshire took a 1-0 lead twenty minutes into the game, but Assumption answered with two minutes remaining in the first only for the Penmen to sneak in a penalty corner before time expired and earned a goal to lead 2-1 at the half. The Hounds came out and dominated in the second half with three goals, the final two within two minutes of each other and earned the upset 4-2 win over SNHU.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first goal of the game came after the 20 minute mark where Cassidy Huckins of SNHU lifted the ball over the diving goalkeeper to take a 1-0 lead. The Hounds tied the game up with minutes left in the half where Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa./Stroudsburg) rifled a pass toward the net and Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) tipped the ball past the goalie to make the game 1-1.
- The Penmen earned a penalty corner with seconds remaining in the half and sent a pass to the right side of the circle. Marissa Leger sent a cross pass to the left where Katelin Oberlander waited on the post and then redirected the shot into the cage to take a 2-1 at half.
- The Hounds came out in the second half with bounds of energy and Kileigh Hynes (Auburn, Mass./Auburn) tipped a ball to Jennifer Beardsley (Essex, Mass./Manchester Essex Regional) who sent a shot into the back of the net just three minutes into the half to tie the game at two.
- The final two goals of the game came just two minutes apart both off penalty corners. The first was a slip left to Hynes who sent a shot at the pads where Burchill got a stick on the ball and tipped it into the cage to give the Hounds a 3-2 lead. Just minutes later the Hounds earned another penalty corner that was broken up and Burchill gained possession to send a hard cross pass from the right into the stroke line where Isabel Primack (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) redirected the ball into the cage to earn the Hounds the 4-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Southwick Tolland) earned the win with six saves while Melanie Rennie tallied twelve on the night.
- The Hounds outshot SNHU 24-10 in total while they earned 17 in the first half alone.
- Assumption dominated in penalty corners as well and only allowed SNHU to have three the entire game while the Hounds earned 11 themselves.