Score: Southern N.H. 2, Assumption 1
Records: Southern N.H. (1-0), Assumption (0-1)
Location: Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
The Lead: Assumption dominated the final 35 minutes of action, including a goal by Jennifer Beardsley (Essex, Mass./ Manchester Essex Regional), but it wasn't enough to overcome halftime deficit in the season opener on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Southern N.H. jumped on the Hounds early with a goal by Maddie Holt in the second minute of the game after a scrum of players were fighting for the ball in front of the net.
- The second Penmen goal came from Taylor Gent in the 50th minute of the game, following one of their three penalty corners in the contest.
- Assumption fought back with a goal just four minutes later by Beardsley. The Hounds managed three more penalty corners and four shots over the last 15 minutes of action but were unable to net the equalizer.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Penmen goalie, Melanie Rennie, took the win with three saves in the game, while Assumption goalie Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Southwick Tolland Regional) ended with nine as she suffered the loss.
- Assumption didn't manage a shot in the first half against Southern N.H. (10-0), but outshot the Penmen 10-3 in the second half. The goal was the first of Beardsley's career. The Hounds also led the game in penalty corners 7-3.
- Assumption is back in action Tuesday, September 4, at 7 p.m. at Stonehill College.