- Score: No. 19 LIU Post 21, Assumption 7
- Records: LIU Post (8-0, 7-0 NE10), Assumption (5-3, 5-2 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption's offense couldn't get in gear and No. 19 LIU Post took control on a couple of timely plays to come away with a 21-7 victory as both teams also fought against heavy rain and wind throughout the contest Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Neither team scored in the first half as Pioneer kicker Joey Tolgyesi missed his first two separate field goal attempts in the half. The first was a 47-yard attempt that went right and the second was a 25-yard attempt that was missed wide left. Tolgyesi got another attempt late the first half, but Jalen Johnson (Columbus, Ohio/Dublin Scioto) was able to get a hand on the ball and block it to keep it short. Assumption finished with 55 yards of offense compared to 118 for LIU Post.
- The Pioneers received the ball to start the second half and Nazir Streater took the ball back for an 886-yard kick return touchdown and 7-0 lead. Assumption then forced a fumble on a punt return and recovered the ball but wasn't able to score as the drive stalled at the 13-yard line.
On LIU Post's second drive, they were able to get another touchdown, this time just a one-yard plunge to extend their lead to 14-0. The Pioneers stretched their lead to 21-0 on a four-yard run with 11:27 left in regulation.
- The Hounds finally got on the board in the fourth. Cody Williams (Wilbraham, Mass./Springfield Central) completed a pair of passes to get inside LIU Post territory and finished off the drive with a 30-yard touchdown run to trail 21-7 with 8:59 left.
- Assumption was unable to gain a first down on its next drive and the Pioneers ran out the clock to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption finished with 232 total yards of offense, 137 rushing and 95 passing, while LIU Post racked up 371, including 212 on the ground. The Pioneers also held the Hounds to 1-for-15 on third and fourth down.
- Joseph Kellum (Mt. Laurel, N.J. / Lenape Regional) led the rushing attack with 71 yards on 13 attempts, while Doug Santos (Peabody, Mass. / Peabody Veterans) rushed eight times for 39 yards. Williams finished 7-for-13 for 58 yards while Tyis Boykin (Worcester, Mass. / St. Peter-Marian) caught four passes for 47 yards.
- Defensively, Levi Fancher (Beacon Falls, Conn. / Woodland Regional) anchored the defense with 13 tackles, while Bryce Jacob (Paramus, N.J. / Paramus) had 12 and Kaleb Silva (Revere, Mass. / Revere) added 11.
- The Hounds are on the road on Saturday, November 3, at Bentley at 12 p.m.