- Score: New Haven 27, Assumption 21
- Records: New Haven (6-1, 6-0 NE10), Assumption (5-2, 5-1 NE10)
- Location: West Haven, Conn. (Ralph Dellacamera Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed 27-0 midway through the third quarter, but came alive over the final 18 minutes to action as the team scored three touchdowns, however, a last second Hail Mary came up short as New Haven finished with the 27-21 victory on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption had a drive go into New Haven territory, but the drive stalled and a 51-yard field goal by Jacob Tondel (Webster, Mass. / Shepherd Hill) went wide to keep it scoreless midway through the first quarter.
- The Chargers took the lead with 12:48 left in the half when Ajee Patterson found Ja'An Williams in the front corner of the endzone for a touchdown. The extra point missed to provide the 6-0 advantage. Assumption wasn't able to score and Patterson tossed a 37-yard touchdown on the ensuing possession for a 13-0 advantage. New Haven finished off the half with a 25-yard touchdown pass for a 20-0 lead at the break.
- The Chargers extended their lead to 27-0 with a three-yard touchdown pass with 4:10 left in the third. Assumption countered on its next drive, moving the ball down inside the redzone and eventually scoring on a six-yard run by Doug Santos (Peabody, Mass. / Peabody Veterans).
- A sack by the defense and a New Haven punt gave Assumption the ball back on its own 20-yard line. The team used an 11-play drive and Cody Williams (Wilbraham, Mass. / Springfield Central) found Deonte Harris (Middle River, Md. / Archbishop Curley) in the back of the endzone to cut the deficit to 27-14 with 8:40 remaining.
- The Hounds got another stop and took back possession at their own 25-yard line. A 44-yard pass play from Williams to Tyis Boykin (Worcester, Mass. / St. Peter-Marian) put them in good position and Santos eventually plunged in from the one to trim it to only 27-21 with 4:40 left.
- Assumption's defense came up with one final stop, and New Haven punted to the Hound 40 with just 32 seconds left. On 4-and-11, Williams found Kyle Sonnie (West Roxbury, Mass. / Catholic Memorial) for 12 yards and first down with four seconds left. However, a final heave came up short of the endzone as the Chargers earned the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption finished with 394 yards of total offense while New Haven had 426, with 241 through the air and 185 on the ground. The Hounds finished with 273 yards passing and 121 rushing yards but had the ball for just 22 minutes in the contest.
- Williams threw for 273 yards and one touchdown, but was 26-for-44 with an interception on the game's final play. His primary target was Boykin, who had seven receptions for 110 yards. Harris added six catches for 52 yards. Williams led all rushers with 78 yards while Santos had 34 yards and two touchdowns.
- Defensively, Levi Fancher (Beacon Falls, Conn. / Woodland Regional) led the team with 11 tackles, including 1.5 for a loss, while Bryce Jacob (Paramus, N.J. / Paramus) finished with ten stops. Ray Sarkodieh (Worcester, Mass. / St. Peter Marian) added the team's lone sack in the contest.
- Patterson finished 15-for-21 for 241 yards and four touchdowns, while Ryan McCarthy rushed 20 times for 130 yards.
- Assumption returns to action next Saturday when the Hounds host LIU Post at 1:05 p.m. in a game which will be played on ESPN3.