- Score: Assumption 26, Southern Connecticut 20 (OT)
- Records: Southern Connecticut (3-2, 2-2 NE10), Assumption (4-1, 4-0 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium
- The Lead: Southern Connecticut State scored in the final minute of regulation to tie the score 20-20, but in overtime the Owls missed a field goal and Assumption took advantage with a game-winning touchdown catch by Kyle Sonnie (West Roxbury, Mass. / Catholic Memorial) to come away with a 26-20 victory on Saturday afternoon in NE10 action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption stalled on its first drive but came through with a 12-play, 76-yard drive to take the lead on its second. On 3rd-and-goal from the nine-yard line Cody Williams (Wilbraham, Mass. / Springfield Central) tossed a swing pass to Tyis Boykin (Worcester, Mass. / St. Peter-Marian) and he was able to beat the defender to the corner pylon, diving with an outstretched arm across the goal line for the score with 2:39 left in the first.
- The Hounds had another potential scoring drive stall on a missed fourth down attempt from the Southern Connecticut 38-yard line and were intercepted on their next possession. The Owls took the interception to the 13-yard line and scored five plays later to tie it 7-7 right before the half.
- SCSU took the lead at 9:46 of the third when Williams was sacked in the endzone for a safety. The Owls added a field goal four minutes later for a 12-7 advantage. With SCSU driving again, Mason Spence (Boston, Mass. / Episcopal) forced a huge fumble at the Assumption 45-yard line. The ball flew back to the Owl 48-yard line, where Goran Krasic (Maywood, N.J. / Hackensack) picked it up and rumbled down to the four-yard line. Four plays later Doug Santos (Peabody, Mass. / Peabody Veterans) rush for a three-yard touchdown to provide a 14-12 lead with 1:08 left.
- Midway through the fourth, the Hounds started on their own eight-yard line, on second down Khaleed Exum-Strong (Norwichtown, Conn. / Norwich Free Academy) burst through the middle for a 48-yard run into SCSU territory. Three plays later, Williams found Kevin Falaki (Assonet, Mass. / Apponequet Regional) wide open for the 18-yard touchdown and 20-12 lead.
- Trailing by eight with 2:59 left, the Owls mounted a game-saving drive from their 35, converting on a fourth down to get inside the Assumption 30-yard line. They eventually scored on a Matt Sanzaro touchdown with just 38 seconds left. Trailing by two, Sanzaro completed a pass to the back of the endzone for the two-point conversion to tie it 20-20.
- SCSU received the ball to start overtime and rushed down to the four-yard line. The Assumption defense stuffed two runs and forced an incomplete pass to bring out the field goal unit. Jose Conde then hit the left upright on his 23-yard attempt.
- Assumption took over on the 25-yard line. On second and seven, Williams executed a beautiful play action fake and found Sonnie wide open over the middle of the field in the endzone for the game-winner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Assumption finished with 359 yards of offense, as 180 came through the air and 179 on the ground. SCSU posted 350 yards, with 244 on the ground and just 106 passing. The Hounds held the Owls to 4 of 17 on third down, but were flagged seven times for 72 yards in the contest while turning the ball over three times.
- Williams finished 20-for-31 for 180 yards with three touchdowns and three INT. Sonnie led the receiving corps with three catches for 42 yards and a score while Boykin added five receptions for 36 yards. Exum-Strong led the ground game with 11 carries for 91 yards.
Defensively, Calvin Millner (New York, N.Y. / Cardinal Hayes) led the team with ten tackles, 1.5 TFL and two fumble recoveries. Joe Kim (Edison, N.J. / Edison) added eight tackles, 1 TFL and four pass breakups. While Silva had eight stops and one forced fumble. Seamus Wallace (Pawcatuck, Conn. / Stonington) averaged 40.5 yards per punt and pinned SCSU deep numerous times as they managed four returns for a total of -4 yards.
- The overtime victory for Assumption was its first OT win since beating Seton Hill 28-21 on the road Sept. 10, 2011. The Hounds' most recent overtime contest was a 30-24 loss to Bentley on Nov. 1, 2014.
- Assumption returns to action next Saturday when the Hounds travel to face New Haven 1 p.m. Both teams enter the contest with matching 5-0 conference records.