- Score: Assumption 49, Pace 21
- Records: Assumption (3-1, 3-0 NE10), Pace (2-2, 1-2 NE10)
- Location: Pleasantville, N.Y. (Pace Stadium
- The Lead: The score was tied 14-14 early in the second quarter, but Assumption responded with the 21 unanswered points to take control as the Hounds finished with a 49-21 victory over Pace on Friday evening in an NE10 road victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pace took the opening kickoff and went 77 yards on seven plays to grab an early 7-0 lead. Freddy Okito (Chicago, Ill. / Milton Academy) gave the team good field position with a 32-yard return, and on second down Cody Williams (Wilbraham, Mass. / Springfield Central) went up the middle for a 37-yard scamper. The team kept moving and Doug Santos (Peabody, Mass. / Peabody Veterans) finished off the drive with a two-yard plunge to tie it 7-7 with 8:17 left in the first.
- The defense forced a three-and-out and gave the offense good field position. They took advantage and methodically moved down the field, with Williams finishing off the drive by bulldozing through the line for a two-yard touchdown run and 14-7 advantage.
- Pace answered back on its next drive, getting a few big plays to move into the red zone and tied it up on an eight yard run, seven seconds in the second quarter. Assumption eventually tied the game up midway through the second as Williams found Kyle Sonnie (West Roxbury, Mass. / Catholic Memorial) over the top of the defense in the corner of the endzone for a 26-yard strike and 21-14 lead.
- The Hound defense forced a punt by Pace on its next possession and Deonte Harris (Middle River, Md. / Archbishop Curley) fielded the punt at the 32-yard line, broke multiple tackles and weaved through the defense before being tackled at the six-yard line. On fourth-and-goal, Santos went around the left side and bullied his way for the touchdown and 28-14 lead with 1:09 left in the half.
- Pace opened the second half with an onside kick, but the Hounds were able to recover and took over in Setter territory. Assumption moved the ball down to the nine-yard line. Williams then found Tighe Beck (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) in the corner of the end zone to stretch the lead to 35-14 just two minutes into the period.
- The Setters answered back with an impressive 22-yard touchdown run by Carlton Aiken to cut the deficit to 35-21 with 6:12 left. Assumption took advantage of another short field after a second onside kick attempts and Williams connected with Justin Assad (Melrose, Mass. / Pingree) on a quick slant to push the lead to 42-21 with 4:12 remaining in the third.
- Assumption tacked on one more touchdown in the fourth, as Santos rumbled through the middle of the defense for a 12-yard touchdown and 49-21 advantage. Cornerback Carlins Platel (Everett, Mass. / Everett) and linebacker Kaleb Silva (Revere, Mass. / Revere) both intercepted passes in the final five minutes to preserve win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption had one more first down (21-20), but Pace actually outgained the Hounds 487-388 in the contest. The Setters ran for 324 yards, while Assumption put up 116 on the ground and 272 through the air. The Hounds also committed 11 less penalties in the game (16-5).
- Williams finished 19-for-26 for 272 yard and three touchdowns without an interceptions, while also running for 43 yards and one score. His primary target on the day was Sonnie, who had a career-high 76 yards and one touchdown from four catches. Okito added three receptions for 84 yards. Santos rushed for a career-high three touchdowns, the second time an Assumption running back has had three touchdowns in a game this year.
- Aiken was impressive, throwing for 163 yards while rushing for 159 more and a pair of touchdowns. Jhalen Bien-Aime added 114 yards on the ground.
- Defensively, Antoine Williams (Springfield, Mass. / Springfield Central) had ten tackles while Jeremiah Edwards (Hackensack, N.J. / Hackensack) added eight solo stops and nine tackles. Silva had a solid all-around game with five tackles, one of which saved a tcouchdown, one sack and one interception.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the Hounds host AIC 1 pm during Family Weekend.