- Score: Rollins 10, Assumption 2
- Records: Rollins (11-7, 1-2 SSC), Assumption (7-4, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Rollins College)
- The Lead: The Rollins Tars blasted four home runs, including two from Cameron Montgomery, and tabbed freshman pitcher MacGuire O'Sullivan (Durham, Conn. / Coginchaug Regional) for seven runs in his first collegiate start to defeat the Assumption Greyhounds 10-2 on Saturday afternoon in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds kept it close through four innings thanks to an RBI-double by Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) and an RBI-single by Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) to bring the game to within three at 5-2 Rollins. However, Rollins, who took an initial 5-0 lead, broke the game wide open when Jack Gonzalez and Montgomery hit back-to-back homers in the fifth inning to stretch Rollins' lead to back out to five. After a first-pitch ball, Gonzalez sent one over the right field wall while Hintz took a 1-1 pitch to left field.
-Jimmy Robbins then held the Hounds to only two hits through his final three innings, finishing his day with 14 strikeouts and giving up only six hits through seven innings of work to earn the win in his first appearance this season. Ross Korosec pitched the final two innings for Rollins and allowed only one walk while striking out four. It countered the Hounds pitching duo of O'Sullivan, who allowed seven runs (six earned) in five innings of work and Patrick Harrington (Bedford, NH / Bedford High School), who pitched the final three innings for the Hounds and allowed three runs (two earned) on four hits while striking out four.
-Cameron Meehan tripled in a run off Harrington in the bottom of the sixth and later scored on a passed ball to give Rollins a 9-2 lead. Montgomery hit his second home run of the game in the eighth off Harrington to give his team a 10-2 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Montgomery led both teams by going 3-for-4 with three runs, two homers and two RBIs. R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) led the Hounds by going 2-for-4 with one double and one run.
- Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) extended his on-base streak to 10 games with a single and a walk, while Trevor McQuade's (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) nine game hitting streak came to an end.
-Saturday marked O'Sullivan's first start in his collegiate career. He pitched well out of the bullpen prior to his start, throwing nine innings in three relief appearances, posting a 2.00 ERA while striking out four. O'Sullivan pitched five innings of relief in a 17-inning affair with Malone back on March 4.
-The Hounds face Nyack tomorrow, March 10, in their final game of their Florida trip. First pitch is at 10:00 a.m.