- Score: Malone 15, Assumption 0
- Records: Malone (9-4, 0-0 GMAC), Assumption (7-3, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Rollins College)
- The Lead: The Malone Pioneers got the best of the Assumption Greyhounds on Friday afternoon, tabbing the Hounds for 15 runs on 17 hits in a 15-0 shutout at neutral site Rollins College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Seven Pioneer players had at least two hits, while Clay Wisner went 3-for-4 with three runs and Zach Mottice went 3-for-3 with two doubles. Tyson Gingerich and Bryan Yoder knocked in three runs apiece while both players scored twice. Yoder scored the first run of the game in the second inning on a sacrifice fly which led to three total in the second and two in the third to build a 5-0 lead before chasing Assumption starter James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) from the game. The Hounds then used four relievers for the final five innings of work that combined to allow 10 runs on 10 hits as a unit.
-Malone starter Christian Specht scattered four Assumption hits through eight innings of work, striking out eight batters while walking none. The Hounds loaded the bases on three singles in the first inning, but grounded into a double play to end the inning without any runs. It was the last time the Hounds would get a hit until Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) doubled down the right field line with two outs in the seventh inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- McQuade's double extended his hitting streak to nine games, giving him a hit in each appearance this season. McQuade now has three doubles and nine RBIs. Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) extended his on-base streak to nine straight by going 1-for-4.
-Andrew Moccia (Lynn, Mass. / Lynn Classical) pitched well for the Hounds, pitching the fifth and sixth innings and allowed only one walk while striking out three. Moccia has not allowed a run in three innings of work so far this season.
-The Hounds face Rollins College tomorrow, March 9, at 1 p.m.