- Score: Assumption 14, Bentley 4
- Records: Assumption (6-0, 0-0 NE10), Bentley (0-9, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Altamonte Spr., Fla. (Lake Brantley HS)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds continued to hit their way to victory, defeating the Bentley Falcons 14-4 on Sunday afternoon to sweep the three-game series between the two teams and to continue their undefeated start through their first six games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Five different Hounds had at least two hits against the Falcons, while freshmen Jake Hamel (Uxbridge, Mass. / Saint John's) and Connor Wironen (Leominster, Mass. / Saint Bernard's) each homered. Wironen hit a solo homer to center as part of a three-run second that also saw a two-RBI double from R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) that gave the Hounds an initial 4-0 lead.
-The Hounds extended their lead to 7-1 with a three-run fifth thanks to a double by Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) and a pair of RBI-singles from Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) and Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter).
-Assumption tacked on five more in the top of the seventh to take a 12-3 lead. Libby started the scoring by reaching on an error with the bases loaded. On the very next at-bat, Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) doubled to left to score two more runs. McQuade produced a two-run single with two outs to give his team a 12-3 lead.
-Hamel homered in the top of the ninth. After teammate Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) walked to start the inning, Hamel hit one over the wall in center field to give Assumption a 14-3 lead. Bentley scored on a balk in the bottom of the ninth to create the 14-4 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- As part of a lineup that saw five different players produce at least two hits, McQuade went 2-for-5 with three RBIs and one double. Adamson went 2-for-4 with three RBIs, one walk and one run, while Libby went 2-for-5 with two runs and two RBIs.
-Adamson has been extremely effective at the plate through the Hounds first six games, going 11-for-22 (.500) with nine RBIs, four walks, three doubles and two stolen bases. Libby has produced at least one hit in each of the team's first six games, including two games with two hits and one game with three hits.
-Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington High School) started and pitched six innings to earn the win. He allowed three runs on eight hits while striking out five. It was a good follow-up start for Curtis, who could only get through the first inning in his first start of the season in a 21-5 win over Bloomfield.
-The Hounds are averaging 12.5 runs per game through their first six games, along with 14 hits, 2.8 doubles and 8.3 walks per game. Assumption pitchers have also held opponents to a .237 batting average as well.
-The Hounds face Malone tomorrow night, March 4, beginning at 4:00 p.m. at Rollins.