- Score: Assumption 21, Bloomfield 5
- Records: Assumption (3-0, 0-0 NE10); Bloomfield (0-3, 0-0 CACC)
- Location: Northboro, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: After going down by five runs in the top of the first inning, the Assumption Greyhounds produced the next 21 runs on 13 hits, 14 walks and five errors to defeat the Bloomfield Bears 21-5 at the New England Baseball Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bears got to Assumption starter Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington High School) for five runs on two two-RBI singles and a balk. The Hounds answered with two in the bottom of the first and then unloaded for eight runs in the third inning, seven in the fourth inning and four runs in the sixth inning to take a 21-5 lead.
-Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) started the scoring in the third inning with a two-run home run. A pair of Bloomfield errors gave Assumption two more runs and allowed them to set up bases loaded with two outs. Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) then single in a run and Koster walked with the bases loaded in his second at-bat of the inning to give the Hounds a 10-5 lead.
-R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) then blasted a three-run homer to left field in the fourth inning to give Assumption a 14-5 lead. Two batters later, Tralli hit a two-run homer to give the Hounds a 16-5 lead. Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) ended the fourth-inning scoring with an RBI-single to right that created a 17-5 Assumption lead.
-While the Hounds hitting remained hot, Patrick Harrington (Bedford, NH / Bedford High School) silenced the Bears. Harrington relieved Curtis after just three batters in the second inningand inherited runners on first and second. He wouldn't allow either to score however and went on to pitch three innings of relief, allowing only one walk and one hit to pick up the win. Assumption followed Harrington with five different pitchers that all pitched one inning in relief who collectively allowed zero runs on three hits and one walk.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Libby, Tralli, Koster and Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) all homered for the Hounds. Libby went 2-for-2 with three RBIs, two runs and two walks, while Tralli went 2-for-3 with four RBIs, two runs and one walk. Koster also added three walks and two runs.
-Dominic Alfano (Farmington, Conn. / Farmington) came in as part of a major substitution for the Hounds and went 2-for-3 with a double and one run.
-The Hounds bullpen combined for eight innings and shut down the Bears, allowing zero runs on four hits and two walks while striking out four.
-The Hounds now take to Florida for their annual trip and will face Bentley at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 1, in Lake Brantley, Fla.