- Score: Merrimack 6, Assumption 5
- Records: Assumption (17-26-2, 11-14-2 NE10); Merrimack (24-17, 16-10 NE10)
- Location: Haverill, Mass.
- The Lead: Facing a must win game, freshman Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) took the mound for Assumption and was working on a gem, as he pitched into the ninth inning without allowing a run, allowing the Hounds to take a 5-0 lead. Merrimack then stormed back and scored six runs in the bottom of the ninth to walk-off, winning 6-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took the lead in the second inning. With runners on first and third with one out, freshman Dillon Zona (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) hit a RBI single to right, scoring senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's). A walk loaded the bases and classmate Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) followed with another walk to extend the lead to 2-0. Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) came through with an RBI grounder to extend the lead to 3-0.
- Merrimack put a runner on third in the third inning, but Chudoba was able to induce a ground out to get out of the frame unscathed.
- In the fourth, Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) drove in the team's fourth run of the day on a single to right center. Assumption loaded the bases but was unable to add to the lead.
- Moynihan tripled to lead-off the ninth and McQuade plated him with a sacrifice fly to stretch the lead to 5-0.
- Merrimack stormed back in the bottom of the ninth. The Warriors scored twice with one out and cut the deficit to 5-3 on a wild pitch. They continued the run with a single and tied the contest 5-5 on another wild pitch. Merrimack completed the comeback with an RBI double to win 6-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Chudoba earned a no decision as he went 8.1 innings and was charged with four earned runs while striking out seven with no walks. Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) took the loss as he was responsible for the final two runs which scored.
- Assumption totaled seven hits in the contest, while Merrimack had seven. Byrne finished 1-for-2 in the contest.
- Assumption returns to action this weekend when the team travels to Southern New Hampshire for a pair of contests