- Score: Saint Michael's 4, Assumption 3 (Game One); Saint Michael's 11, Assumption 9 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (17-24-1, 11-12-1 NE10); Saint Michael's (8-27, 3-14 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Assumption baseball dropped a pair of games to Saint Michael's on the day the late Ari Schultz had his number 35 retired, losing 4-3 in the opener before falling 11-9 in the nightcap.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) started game one for Assumption and pitched 6.0 innings, surrendering three runs (one earned) on five hits and six strikeouts. Junior Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) came on in relief and pitched the remaining 3.0 innings, allowing a run while punching out a pair of batters.
- Assumption got on the board in the second inning, when sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) doubled to right center field and senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) followed that up with a double, putting the Hounds up 1-0.
- Saint Michael's tied the game in the fourth and took the lead in the sixth, plating two runs to take a 3-1 lead. The Hounds pulled one back in the bottom half of the sixth, as senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) singled and classmate Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) doubled to record his 29th RBI of the season.
- The teams exchanged runs in the seventh to finish the scoring at 4-3. Byrne hit a towering home run to dead center field to give the Hounds their seventh run of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME ONE
- Byrne led the Hounds at the plate, finishing 2-for-3 with a home run, double and two RBI.
- Moynihan went 2-for-4 with a run, while Adamson also went 2-for-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) started game two on the mound and tossed 5.0 innings, allowing eight runs (six earned) on six hits and two strikeouts. Sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) pitched 3.0 innings of relief from the bullpen and allowed three runs with two strikeouts. Freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) pitched a clean ninth, striking out a batter.
- Assumption once again took an early lead on Saint Michael's, loading the bases with no outs, before junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) drew a bases loaded walk to force in a run. The Purple Knights were able to limit the damage, as the Hounds only managed one run.
- The Hounds pushed their lead to 4-0 in the third when junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) and Jaehnig led off the inning with walks. Adamson then doubled to drive in McQuade and Byrne hit a sacrifice fly to score Jaehnig. Junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) singled through the right side of the infield to tally an RBI, giving Assumption three runs in the inning.
- Saint Michael's responded with three runs of their own in the fourth inning to make the score 4-3, before Assumption scored a run in the bottom half of the inning. Sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) tripled and McQuade singled him home.
- The Purple Knights scored a run in the fifth before scoring five in the sixth to take a 9-5 lead. Assumption didn't quit, scoring four runs to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth. McQuade hit a sacrifice fly, Jaehnig tallied a RBI single and Tralli recorded a two RBI double to do the damage.
- In the top of the eighth with two outs, Saint Michael's Joe Robertson connected on a two-RBI single to right center field to give them an 11-9 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME TWO
- Adamson finished 3-for-5 with a double, two runs and a RBI, while Tralli went 1-for-3 with three RBI.
- McQuade went 1-for-2 with three walks, two runs and two RBI, while Jaehnig scored two runs.