- Score: Southern N.H. 11, Assumption 5 (Game One); Southern N.H. 10, Assumption 1 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (16-19-1, 10-7-1 NE10); Southern New Hampshire (22-12, 9-5 NE10)
- Location: Hookset, N.H. (Penmen Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team suffered a pair of losses this evening, falling in a conference tilt in game one (11-5) before losing the nightcap, a non-conference game, 10-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Sophomore Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) earned his fifth start of the season but only lasted 2.1 innings, allowing seven runs (six earned) on eight hits, three walks and a pair of strikeouts. Freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) pitched the next 4.1 innings surrendering the final four runs (two earned), while sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) tossed the final 1.1 innings, striking out three batters without allowing a hit.
- Senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) and sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) led off the first inning by reaching base on a walk and hits batter, before Moynihan was moved to third on a long fly out by senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College). Sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) brought home Moynihan for the game's first run when he grounded out to the third baseman. Junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) then singled up the middle to score Brescia from second base, giving the Hounds a 2-0 advantage.
- The lead was short lived, as Southern New Hampshire scored seven runs over the next three innings to take a 7-2 lead. Assumption cut into the deficit in the fifth inning, pushing three runs across the plate when Brescia recorded a RBI single and McQuade tallied a two-RBI, bases loaded single through the right side of the infield.
- With the score 7-5 in the sixth inning, the Penmen pulled away. They scored once in the bottom half of the sixth before plating three in the seventh to end the scoring at 11-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME ONE
- McQuade finished 2-for-4 with three RBI, while Brescia and Moynihan each went 1-for-3 with two runs.
- PegueroMelo has now recorded four straight scoreless appearances out of the bullpen, dropping his ERA to 0.87 over 20.2 innings of work.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Senior Danny Hoffer (Yonkers, N.Y. / Stepinac / University of Maine) got the nod in game two, pitching 2.2 innings and surrendering six runs while punching out a batter. Freshman James Cappello (Marlborough, Mass. / Assabet Valley Regional Technical) came on in relief and pitched the remaining 3.1 innings, punching out five batters.
- Southern New Hampshire scored three runs in both the second and third inning to jump out to a 6-0 lead. The Hounds threatened in the fifth inning when they loaded the bases with one out, but a pitching change by the Penmen to get the final two outs got them out of the jam.
- Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) accounted for the lone run of the game for Assumption, when he launched his second home run of the season in the sixth inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME TWO
- Byrne went 1-for-3 with a solo home run.
- Byrne, Tralli and Koster all finished the game 1-for-3.