- Score: Assumption 9, Stonehill 7
- Records: Assumption (15-17-1, 10-6-1 NE10); Stonehill (12-16, 5-10 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Lou Gorman Field)
- The Lead: Assumption earned a hard fought NE10 Divisional win this evening at Stonehill, keeping the Hounds atop the division in a tie with Southern New Hampshire, as both teams now own a 7-2 record.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) earned his fourth win of the season, tossing 6.0 innings while surrendering four runs on six hits, two walks and four strikeouts. Junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) picked up his third save of the year when he came on in the ninth and fanned a pair of batters while allowing one unearned run.
- Stonehill jumped on Assumption in the first inning, taking a 3-0 lead on a walk, two doubles and a hits batter. The Hounds responded with a pair of runs the next half inning, before tying the game in the third on junior Hunter Tralli's (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) second double of the game, scoring classmate Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) all the way from first base.
- Assumption took the lead in the fifth when sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) and senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) led off the inning with singles. Sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) then singled down the left field line to bring home Brescia and put the Hounds ahead 4-3.
- After the Skyhawks tied the game in the sixth (4-4), Assumption scored three in the seventh inning to take a lead that they wouldn't relinquish. All three runs came with two outs in the inning, as Adamson started the rally with a single and advanced to second on wild pitch before taking third on another wild pitch. McQuade and Tralli both walked to load the bases and senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) then walked to force a run home. Junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) came through with a huge two-RBI single as he continues to drive in runs in spurts.
- Stonehill chipped away and pulled within one run heading into the ninth inning (7-6), but Assumption once again came up with timely hits to give themselves a 9-6 lead. This time freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) came through, roping a two-RBI double to center field. Keinz came on in the ninth and shut the door, allowing a single unearned run to give the Hounds their seventh win in divisional play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tralli continues to rake at the plate as he's recorded four multi-hit games in his past five contests, finishing the game 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles, two walks, three runs and a RBI.
- Adamson went 3-for-5 with a RBI and run, while Quinlivan went 3-for-5 with three RBI, giving him seven in his past two games.
- Byrne and Jaehnig each registered two hits, as Jaehnig quickly approaches the 200 hit milestone.