- Score: Assumption 14, Saint Anselm 6 (Game One); Assumption 8, Saint Anselm 6 (Game Two Called For Darkness in 9th)
- Records: Assumption (11-14, 5-3 NE10); Saint Anselm (7-12, 1-5 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Sullivan Park)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team was looking for the weekend sweep of Saint Anselm today, as the Hounds claimed game one 14-6, before winning game two 8-6 with the game being called for darkness in the ninth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) was fantastic on the mound in game one for Assumption, twirling 8.0 shutout innings to improve his record to 4-2 and lower is ERA to 1.82 on the year.
- Both starting pitchers exchanged shutout innings until the top of the third inning, when Assumption struck for four runs. Sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) and junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) got things started with a pair of singles to open the frame. After freshman Dillon Zona (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) reached on an error to load the bases, senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) walked to send home the first run of the game. Classmate Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) followed that up with a two-RBI single, before Jaehnig was sent home on a balk from Saint Anselm's pitcher, making the score 4-0.
- Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) recorded a two-RBI double in the fourth and Zona drove home a run in the fifth to push the Hound lead to 7-0. The floodgates opened in the ninth as Assumption piled on seven more runs, highlighted by a three-run home run from Byrne. Saint Anselm battled back, scoring six runs in the bottom half of the inning before senior Nick Massarelli (Southwick, Mass. / Southwick) struck out the final batter swinging to give the Hounds a 14-6 win in game one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME ONE
- Byrne and Moynihan each registered a three-hit game, as they combined to go 6-for-11 with seven RBI and three runs.
- Jaehnig continued his torrid streak at the plate, finishing 2-for-4 with two walks, two RBI and three runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Freshman Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) took the mounds in game two and lasted 4.0 innings, as the Hawks got to him early recording 11 hits and scoring six runs (five earned). Junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came on in relief and was lights out, tossing 4.0 shutout innings while striking out eight batters.
- Saint Anselm jumped out of the gate fast, scoring four runs in the first inning to take a 4-0 lead. Assumption carried over its success at the plate into game two however, scoring seven runs in the top of the second to take the lead highlighted by a grand slam from Moynihan.
- After Saint Anselm pulled a run back in the second and fourth inning to make it a one run game (7-6), Assumption scored one of its own in the fifth. Alfano and McQuade each singled and sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) hit a sacrifice fly to make the score 8-6.
- The game was called in the ninth due to darkness, ending the game at 8-6 in favor of Assumption.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME TWO
- Five Hounds tallied multi-hit games, including Moynihan who went 2-for-5 with a grand slam and five RBI.
- Jaehnig finished 2-for-4 with two walks, extending his hitting streak to nine games.
- Brescia and McQuade each had a three-hit game and scored a pair of runs.
- Adamson recorded three RBI on the game.