- Score: Southern Conn. 6, Assumption 4 (Game One); Southern Conn. 7, Assumption 1 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (7-14, 1-3 NE10); Southern Conn. (15-7, 2-0 NE10)
- Location: East Haven, Conn. (Southern Conn.)
- The Lead: Assumption dropped a pair of NE10 Conference games to Southern Connecticut today, as the Hounds fall to 1-3 in NE10 play, but still have yet to play a divisional game.
HOW IT HAPPENED: (GAME ONE)
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) started game one and allowed six runs (four earned) in 6.0 innings of work, surrendering 10 hits while striking out four batters. Sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) pitched the final two innings and did not give up a run.
- Southern Connecticut scored three runs in the first inning, before Assumption tied the game in the second. Junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) connected on a one out single, before senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) walked and junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) hit a RBI single down the left field line. A passed ball brought Byrne home to score before sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) recorded an RBI single to make the score 3-3.
- The Owls scored twice more in the fourth and once more in the fifth to open up a 6-3 lead. The Hounds got one back in the top of the ninth, but that was all they could muster as Southern Connecticut took game one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Brescia led the way for the Hounds with a 3-for-4 effort at the dish, while McQuade continued his hot streak with a 2-for-4 performance with a run scored.
- Senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) went 2-for-4 and Tralli went 1-for-4 with a RBI and run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED: (GAME TWO)
- Freshman Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) was fantastic through the game's first 4.0 innings during game two, striking out six batters while holding Southern Connecticut scoreless. The Owls got to him in the subsequent 2.2 innings however, piling on seven runs before classmate James Cappello (Marlborough, Mass. / Assabet Valley Regional Technical) came on in relief.
- Both teams pitched well in the opening four innings, as the score was tied 0-0 until Southern Connecticut struck for four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to go up 4-0. Assumption got a run back in the sixth, when McQuade doubled to left field and Tralli hit a sacrifice fly to drive him in.
- The Owls pulled away in the seventh, scoring three more runs on four hits and walk to chase Chudoba out of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig finished 1-for-2 with a walk and a hit-by-pitch to lead the Hounds at the plate, while Moynihan also drew a pair of walks.
- McQuade went 1-for-4 with a double and a run scored while Tralli recorded the lone RBI of the game.
- Freshman Andrew Moccia (Lynn, Mass. / Lynn Classical) also registered a hit, going 1-for-3.