- Score: Assumption 4, Nyack 2
- Records: Assumption (2-4, 0-0 NE10); Nyack (3-2-1, 0-0 ECC)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla.
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team rebounded from its extra innings loss to Nyack yesterday, scoring all four runs in the first three innings to split the two games.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) recorded a quality start on the mound for Assumption, tossing 7.0 innings while allowing two runs on six hits and eight strikeouts to earn the win. Freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) came on in relief and shut the door on Nyack, pitching 2.0 innings unscathed to earn his first collegiate save, not allowing a baserunner.
- The Hounds took a 2-0 lead in the second inning when junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) worked a two out walk to start the rally. Classmate Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) then roped a double to drive home Tralli, before freshman Andrew Moccia (Lynn, Mass. / Lynn Classical) subsequently singled to send home Quinlivan, giving the freshman his first collegiate RBI.
- Assumption doubled its lead just an inning later as senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) led-off with a single and sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) bunted him over to second. Senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) then tattooed a double to record an RBI, which was followed by a single by classmate Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) which sent Jaehnig home, pushing the Hound lead to 4-0.
- That was all Horstkotte needed, as the senior allowed a single run in the fourth, before surrendering one more in the sixth to earn the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moynihan finished the game going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run, while sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) went a perfect 2-for-2 to go with a pair of walks.
- Byrne connected on a two singles to go 2-for-4 with a RBI, while Quinlivan and Jaehnig each tallied a double, a RBI and a run.