- Score: Nyack 6, Assumption 5 (13 Inn.)
- Records: Nyack (3-1-1), Assumption (1-4)
- Location: Lake Brantley, Fla.
- The Lead: Nyack scored two runs in the top ninth inning to come back and draw even with Assumption 5-5, before eventually taking down the Hounds 6-5 in 13 innings on Friday evening in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Nyack took a 1-0 lead on starter Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) in the top of the first inning, however, the senior wouldn't give up another run over the next six innings. The Assumption offense gave Curtis some help in the second as Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) drove home Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) on a sacrifice fly to even the score.
- In the bottom of the fifth, the Hounds took back the lead. Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) scored on a sacrifice fly and then Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) drove home Quinlivan with an RBI single for a 3-1 advantage. One inning later, Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) singled in another run for the 4-1 advantage.
- The Warriors drove in a pair of runs in the top of the eighth to close the gap to just 4-3, however, a sacrifice fly by Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) gave the Hounds a 5-3 lead going into the ninth.
- Nyack scored a pair of unearned runs in the top of the ninth to tie the game at 5-5. Assumption was unable to plate the winning run in the bottom of the ninth, sending the contest to extra innings.
- Assumption put two runners on in the 11th with two outs but couldn't drive in the game-winning run. Nyack finally took a 6-5 lead in the top of the 13 and the Hounds went down in order in the bottom of the frame to conclude the contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption had nine hits in the contest, led by Moynihan who went 3-for-6, while Byrne added a pair of hits.
- Curtis went 7.2 innings, allowing six hits with three earned runs, three walks and seven strikeouts in the no decision. James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) tossed 5.1 innings of relief, giving up two hits and three unearned runs while striking out four as he took the loss.
- AJ Vasquez earned the win for Nyack as he threw the last two innings and one of five pitchers for the Warriors.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they play Nyack at 2 pm.