- Score: Mansfield 4, Assumption 1 (Game one); Mansfield 4, Assumption 1 (Game two)
- Records: Assumption (1-3, 0-0 NE10); Mansfield (3-1, 0-0 PSAC)
- Location: Cary, N.C. (USA Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team dropped its doubleheader with Mansfield today, falling by a pair of 4-1 decisions. The Hounds wrap up their North Carolina trip with a 1-3 record, but will look to bounce back next week when they take their Spring Break trip down to Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) took the bump in game one for Assumption and produced a line of 5.1 innings pitched, surrendering four runs (one earned) on six hits and seven strikeouts. Freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) came on in relief and tossed 1.1 scoreless innings, striking out a batter along the way.
- Mansfield used two walks, a single and an error to score the game's opening run in the first inning and then doubled their lead in the fourth on three singles and a sacrifice fly. The Mountaineers pushed their lead to 4-0 in the sixth when they took advantage of three errors.
- The Hounds pulled a run back in the bottom half of the sixth inning, as sophomore Joe Michael (Johnston, R.I. / Johnston Senior / CCRI) lined a single to left field, bringing home junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) from third base. That was all the runs the Hounds could muster, falling in game one, 4-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) paced the Hounds offense, recording a multi-hit game (2-for-4). Tralli finished 1-for-4 with a run, while Michael went 1-for-1 with an RBI.
- Freshman Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) registered a 1-for-2 effort at the plate, with seniors Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) and Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) each tallied a single.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Freshman Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) earned his first collegiate start for the Hounds and had a solid debut, pitching 5.0 innings while allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits and two strikeouts. Classmate Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) tossed the final two innings, not allowing a run while punching out three batters.
- After Mansfield opened the scoring in game two, Assumption recorded a two out rally to tie the game up at one. Senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) worked a walk, which was followed up with a double to deep right center field by sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford), tying the game 1-1.
- The Mountaineers grabbed the lead for good in the fourth, before adding two insurance runs in the fifth to sweep the day's doubleheader at 4-1.
The Hounds struck back in the top of the second, when junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) drew a one out walk. Sophomore R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) then doubled down the right field line to put runners on second and third, before launched a three-run homerun over the right field wall giving Assumption a 3-1 lead.
- Quinlivan extended the lead in the top of the sixth, sending his second homerun of the game, a solo shot, over the right field wall to push the lead to 4-1. After sophomore doubled, recorded his first RBI in a Hound uniform with a single up the middle, making the score 5-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moynihan reached base safely three times, finishing 1-for-1 with two walks and the Hounds lone run.
- The Hounds return to action March 2nd when they travel to Florida for their Spring Break trip that spans 10 days and includes nine games.